Seahorse: Import of existing PGP keys does not work

I use Zorin OS 16.3 64bit and Seahorse 3.36 and am a relatively new user of Zorin OS. I wanted to import existing pgp keys into Seahorse. However, when I click on "open" to open and import the keys, nothing happens and after the window for selecting the file has closed, the key list is still empty.

Is there anything extraordinary to consider when importing existing pgp keys?
Does anyone see the same behavior?
I have also tried it under Linux Mint and it works there smoothly. So it seems like it is a problem of the combination of Zorin OS and Seahorse.

This is a pity, because I really like Zorin OS, but having pgp keys for email encryption is a crucial functionality for me and makes Linux Mint the more attractive option.

Could it be a permissions issue?:

"Seahorse is a GNOME application for managing encryption keys and passwords in the GNOME Keyring"

I think in Zorin it is under Utilities? Passwords and Keys? (Page 34 of Unofficial Manual for Zorin 15 that I authored).

Found this for Ubuntu (uses the same item Passwords and Encryption Keys

https://launchpad.net/+help-registry/import-pgp-key.html

Seahorse is an application to manage your keys and certificates. It is not an email client. As far as I can see, you cannot import the pgp keys directly in Thunderbird and Evolution (which I use both), because both applications rely on the keys that you have saved inside your default key management application, which is Seahorse. I can only specify a pgp key ID which I assume would refer to the ID of the imported key in Seahorse, if the list was not empty.

If you have information how to import the pgp keys directly in the mail applications, please let me know, I am happy to try it.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion. However, the thread from the link is not exactly about the issue I am having. It seems like the user there created the keys with Seahorse while being root user and cannot access while being regular user.
I have created the keys actually on a different computer and in my old mail client.

I have run Seahorse withsudo seahorse to get elevated rights. When I try to import the keys, I get the following error messages in the terminal:

(seahorse:9382): Gcr-WARNING **: 21:05:23.108: couldn't write output data to gnupg process

(seahorse:9382): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 21:05:23.108: gtk_widget_hide: assertion 'GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed

(seahorse:9382): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: 21:05:23.108: invalid unclassed pointer in cast to 'GtkSpinner'

(seahorse:9382): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 21:05:23.108: gtk_spinner_stop: assertion 'GTK_IS_SPINNER (spinner)' failed

(seahorse:9382): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 21:05:23.108: gtk_widget_hide: assertion 'GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed
^C

Frankly speaking, I am not sure what all this means exactly, but I will do some research and am happy to get some suggestions.

no worries. Any help is appreciated! I forgot that you are close to a big holiday in the US, so please do enjoy your free time!

Have you accessed Seahorse via the menu named Password and Keys in Zorin?

Typing

sudo seahorse

in terminal brings up this window:

You need to press the back arrow on top left to get to this screen and click on the '+' icon to get the import option:

yes, I did. when you type "seahorse" into the search of the start menu, the only entry I can see there is "Password and Keys". So I am assuming Zorin OS refers to the Seahorse application under a different alias.

Yes, it is what Ubuntu also uses, or perhaps I should say what Gnome now uses. It is like the file explorer Nautilus is now named simply 'Files' again, Gnome Devs behind this. So Password and Keys is seahorse. I find it bizarre that it should open at the blank page when it should start with the window with the '+' top left. Please note I have updated my post whilst you responded to my first posting of screenshots.

The menu exists on my end and I can select the import option. The issue is when I select a key file (.asc), I first see an overview of the key to be imported in another window, then I click on "_Import" in the upper right corner and then nothing happens. The list of keys remains empty.

All of these are simple warnings that refer to the GTK Widget coding. They are not errors and will not impact application performance. They can be ignored.

SeaHorse is used for managing GnuPG keys. I have done what you are describing without ever using SeaHorse every time I re-installed Zorin OS since I maintain three repositories.
Usually, you can just transfer ~/.gnupg/ and then change ownership of the directory to your new user account.
If you have more complexity, you may need to use the --export and --export-secret-keys commands. These will require your password.

1 Like

Useful for encrypting a file or folder is seahorse-nautilus. It adds an "Encrypt" option to the right-click context menu of a file (see image).

It can access the stored public keys for this. You can encrypt files on your own computer by using your public key for the encryption.

It's not installed as a seahorse dependency. Install it
separately.

So I believe it is a bug with the user interface of seahorse. I was able to import the keys through the terminal using gpg --import keyfile.asc. After running the command in the folder with the keys and providing their passphrases, the keys are now also listed in Seahorse (Passwords and Keys).

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.