Secure boot password

Just installed Z16 Lite on my wife's desktop. The option to disable Secure Boot involves deleting some Secure Boot keys - I hadn't done that with Z15 so I chose not to and left Secure Boot and UEFI on. In the past, on Z15 install I had disabled UEFI, had Secure Boot on, but I couldn't replicate my success so I had to resort to leaving them both on.

During installation I was asked to setup a Secure Boot password (haven't encountered this with Z15) and it stated that I would be asked for that password during reboots. Like in all other Z installs, there was only one reboot and I wasn't asked the password. I don't think I have to hang on to the password given the installation has already completed and it has been rebooted at least once after the full installation's own reboot, correct?

Those keys are for windows if i am not wrong. If she installed windows on it it stores a installation key in the bios. If you would remove that key windows would not boot (this is not the pre installed windows oem serial key). From my first Zorin 16 install i installed it with secure boot turned on and i did not get such a key promp, but i did with the nvidia driver (MOK (Machine Owner Key) )

If it was my machine i would turn them both off, in my bios when i turn of secure boot those keys kept saved. Because i will never use Windows anymore i tried to delete those keys with succes.

1 Like

Yeah, I had installed Win 7 on it years ago and then changed it to Z15 GNOME (no dual boot). I too don't ever plan to use Win but I figured leave anything alone as long as it doesn't interfere with Linux. And since Secure Boot kept out of the way during installation, I had no incentive to disable it.

But then during installation, I think it was right after the Wifi password screen, I was asked to setup a Secure Boot password. I set one. Just now, when I was changing Nvidia drivers under Additional Drivers, I was again asked to setup a Secure Boot password. It seems I will have to hold on to the password for any GPU driver changes. Unless any other ideas are offered.

1 Like

That's Mokutils and yes, you will likely need that password again.

2 Likes

If I turn off secure boot now, will it cause problems with my existing installation? If I don’t have to reinstall then I’ll go ahead and turn it off.

1 Like

I believe you can turn it off just fine.
Secure Boot is for Windows... But because dual booters need it on for Windows, MS Signed a large bunch of Ubuntu Packages. But not all of them.
Since this is the case, those unsigned ones can cause you headache and grief.
And the Signed Ones can demand the password.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.