Security question

Hello,

So far I am loving my Zorin OS.

My first experience with Linux was with Zorin and after a few setup issues and distro hops in attempt to solve those issues, I learned how to setup and manage linux for basic use and I came right back to Zorin and am loving it.

I am writing to ask if it is safer security wise to run a linux program on linux than it is to run a windows program on linux?

Please let me know.

Thanks.

The short answer is, yes.
Running Windows software on Linux using WINE can still be affected by a virus that infects the Wine directories.

4 Likes

While I see lots of distro comparisons and reviews I haven't found comparisons addressing security specifically.

Is zorin security advantages/disadvantages in anyway different from Ubuntu?

Would an ubuntu based distribution such as zorin make changes to the original ubuntu security to provide a difference in security features such that a person should be comparing the security features of different ubuntu based distros to narrow their choice of distro?

Really, it is best for the ZorinGroup to address this directly.

In the meantime, as a member of the forum, I think it is preferable you have your question at least intermediately addressed.
Zorin OS and Ubuntu are essentially identical security-wise. Ubuntu serves as a base for the build and there are certainly additions, changes and the like made by Zorin Group.
It would not logically follow for the Zorin Group to change the Distro in a way that may falter when Security updates and patches are vetted.
Ubuntu is quite secure and all the derivatives of Ubuntu (Distros based on Ubuntu) benefit from this.
There are many design elements that can be compared to narrow your list of Distro. Performance, accessibility and customizability are among top references to compare. But for security, it is a level field from Mint to Zorin OS to Pop to Feren.

If interested in security, this thread may also be of interest: Latest security news

1 Like

I was hoping for this to be the case so I don't have to do much more investigating in a hurry.

Is there anything urgent I should be doing for anti-virus and spyware protection?

Thanks. I will start reading.

Urgent? Not really, no. Zabadabadoo linked to the Latest Security News thread and that is good to follow.
If you use Wine to run Windows software, you will want to check anything you download or install in Wine.

I like those movies that show some hacker, like John Travolta, sit at a keyboard and start banging away at the keys like Beethoven at the piano. Within minutes, they have infiltrated high level government agencies with awesome graphical displays and I think some of the computers explode with lots of sparks...
The reality of hacking is: a lot of digging in someones trash can. That's not an analogy - I mean the trash can. It really is a great resource for information.
Want to know someones password? Be their friend. Get to know them. Do they have any pets? What are their pets names? Where were they born? Social pressure is amazing; you would be surprised how effective this method is. People do not wish to be rude and decline to answer seemingly friendly questions.
So when it comes to spyware - You are the primary line of defense. There is no anti-virus that can stop you from saying, "Fido, he's my favorite dog." "I was born in Sparta, Mississippi. What about you?" Especially when someone acts like they think you're cute on the internet.
On Linux, Spywares gate is in your email or Discord - social apps. And only you can control that gate and information flow.

There is such a thing as anti-virus for Linux. Eset. Clam-AV. I used Clam-av for a while. I got over it.
And here I will say something publicly that I never would have dared say on Windows: I use no anti-virus at all and haven't in over a year and a half.
Your default firewall is very effective and unless you are a total expert, generally needs no additional configuration.

Unless you work for a high level R&D department or the CIA, you do not need full disk encryption. There are several methods for keeping some files safe and private individually and independently on Linux if the need is present - without risking your entire hard drive and all installations to an encrypted drive. I can outline them if you like (or perhaps make a thread in tutorials).

Just remember that the cute hot girl in the chat box that thinks you are so interesting probably has a beard. And a penchant for Identity Theft.

1 Like

The first thing I did after installing Zorin was enable the firewall, as that is not enabled by default.
I still occasionally run ClamAV via ClamTK which can be found in Zorin Software store.
I then run Rkhunter from terminal.
Both are manual scans and both generate spurious warnings so are not simple in use compared to AV you may have been using with Windows. Once you are familiar with those warnings you can just watch for anything unusual. I have not seen anything yet. :crossed_fingers:
As @Aravisian has already said, You are the security gatekeeper, so if it looks too good to be true, the alarm bells should ring.

1 Like

One year I bought ESET for elementary OS system back then. But what a waste of money...

This I understand

This I manage most of the time.

Not into these.

Check how? Like scan with ClamAV or other similar recommendations or check as in beware of what I download?

You can use an online scanner like Jotti for simplicity; since it is a package scan not a full Windows System scan.
Viruses affecting Wine and therefore, Linux are rare. It's pretty uncommon. That said, it can and does sometimes happen (Warning: Language):
https://www.reddit.com/r/linuxmasterrace/comments/33vg63/warning_wine_is_effectively_windows_get_an/

On Linux, purging Wine is often sufficient for any serious threat removal, then reinstall Wine. The biggest risk is losing saved game data or doing reinstalls on Wine that you would prefer to not have to do. So, while you are still much safer, I think it is appropriately cautious to scan files that go to Wine.

Thank you for this info.

Recently I read about a security hole code named Sequoia.

Is there somewhere on this site I should be checking to get the latest news on security updates and the guides on how to install the update? Or is running the software update sufficient to ensure all fixes including security fixes are installed and enabled?

Running the software updater is sufficient.

There is this thread on Sequoia:

As well as the Security News Thread:

1 Like