Setting up software Raid, do I use mdadm? If so, how?

Firstly let me say, I'm a new linux user. Why did I make the switch to linux? I work in IT and I'm ashamed of my lack of linux knowledge, but thankfully if I learn about it, I'd literally be the only person at my MSP besides our head of security and compliance with linux experience. Zorin looked like a good starting place based on some digging I did. So far I like it, but I want to make some strides towards learning the more advanced topics.

So, I have a server machine I built myself. No raid card, yet. I'll purchase one for it soon. But I wanted to learn to install raid on linux from software. I tried following some guides online for mdadm but it looks like I can't do anything with the OS installed on one of the disks I want to use. I am not afraid of loosing any data, the machine I am using is just a test bench at this point, nothing of any value is stored on it.

TL;DR, my question is very simple. How do I install zorin with software raid?

Hello Thatonedinoguy, welcome to the forum. I to am learning Linux with the assistance of Zorin and this forum.

Zorin 15.3 is based on Ubuntu 18.04. So this should get you started:

I do not use a raid as of yet, though in the future i may depending on how my schooling in development pans out.

You have chosen a good distro with a faithful following. Let us know how it turns out.

Edit:
I realize you said using mdadm, and i came across this if the ipmi version wasn't quite what you were looking for: