Share your desktop, what does it look like?

I'm not much into customization but recently I've found this cool theme that I really like, and as we approach the end of the year things have been slow and a bit boring, so I took the time to spice things up a bit.

I even created a simple firefox theme for it!

What I haven't yet figured out is how to get rid of the apple-style action buttons. It also doesn't apply the theme on every program, for example GIMP or KeePassXC.

3 Likes

3 Likes

What theme is that ??? Love the top bar. I used to have that in linux mint 17 cinnamon.

Edit: see here Taskbar i used in Mint 17.x available for zorin os 16?

Sweet theme. :orange_heart: :black_heart:

1 Like

Nice work! I would like to get myself more comfortable editing these style sheets, but I'm still shaky about messing things up for the whole theme and then needing to revert. I'll get there one day.

1 Like

Applying off-the-shelf themes is fairly easy, but I'm still not comfortable making big changes either, specially on Gnome itself.

On Firefox, what I did to make sure that I didn't mess things up, which I definitely did a few times, is create dedicated profiles. If you need to start over, just delete the profile and it's like it never happened. As I was experimenting I ended up with this:

Still not sure if I'll keep any of these but I think my customization fever went away for now so I'll keep things like that, probably until I decide to move on to another distribution :smile:

1 Like

In Firefox, you can use the Firefox color extension

to create your own theme. I did this in order to customize the tab, menu and bookmark text color. It works well and doesn't require modification of css or any other files.

There's this program you can install ColorPicker to select the hexadecimal codes of any color on the screen. If you visit a site or something that you like how it uses colors, you can use that. I do it sometimes to create accent colors and whatnot. But definitely using a pre-made theme is so much easier (if you find the right one...)

1 Like

Thanks Zenzen I reinstalled that from the apt store as I had deleted it before trying to streamline ....

1 Like

Shweet

Merry Numix
Distro: Zorin OS 16.2 Pro
Theme: Numix BLACK Pomegranate 2.0
Icons: Numix Square
Widget: Conky Dex
Wallpaper: Ubuntu 22.12.1 Wallpapers package

5 Likes

Hi, I have been following this post for a few days already getting ideas so here is my desktop

A lot of what I have read here has been very helpful, this is probably not my final version but I am happy with it

3 Likes

I really like that background, can you share where you got it from please?

Spiral Linux Plasma

4 Likes

That distro is pretty new, how does it run ?

1 Like

Why do all distro’s use the nautilus file manager instead of nemo :face_with_peeking_eye:

2 Likes

Solid , it's basically a simple way to install Debian and it can be easily converted to Debian testing or unstable. There isn't much for themes or icons , but that's easy to fix especially in KDE. It comes with the 6.0 kernel.

I thought file managers were DE dependent. If you run KDE (Plasma) it is Dolphin, xfce it is Thunar, and Gnome ... Nautilus, sadly, Cinnamon it is Nemo, and MATE it is Caja, LXQt uses pcmanfm-qt.

They are not. I'm running kde with Nemo as my file and desktop manager (gtk side anyway). I don't use dolphin.

Hi, what I meant to say is the DE normally dictates what the default file browser is. I know you can add or change default one but some are embedded with the OS which means you can never truly replace the 'de facto' file manager or you risk breaking the system. I think the only DE that allows complete swap is LXQt from my recent browsing.

2 Likes