Share your desktop, what does it look like?

I agree on this. It is a large part why I continue with Zorin OS. As Zorin OS Lite offers XFCE, it works out for me.
I do not find having direct access to all my settings to be messy, at all. And the apps being hidden or unavailable is not "professional" in how something looks, in my opinion.
To me, a Professional Look, looks like something that can be Professionally used. And Android and Gnome do not fit that bill in anyway. A Mobile Application platform can never operate as a Desktop Workstation.

Android functionality is fine for when bored sitting on the city bus.
But you cannot run professional Applications on it; inkscape or Blender or any other in-depth professional software.
A desktop Workstation needs the tools laid out and in easy reach - not minimlistic with the user having to dredge each one out just to make use of ti.

2 Likes

Great deal, XFCE for you and Gnome for me but still we're happy using Zorin, right.

2 Likes

Exactly. Yes. If Gnome suits you and XFCE suits me (Or Cinnamon), then that is the great Diversity of Linux. My comments above were addressed at Gnomes attempts to Squash that Diversity. Not to your choices of preferences.
And - I apologize... Reading over my wording; I did not properly express that.
If Gnome respected Other Desktops, I would be very supportive of Gnome, even if it is not My Own Taste. After-all, having different tastes and the ability to build our workstations by them IS the thing I promote.
It is that Gnome controls the Gnu ToolKit (GTK) which does affect XFCE, Mate, Cinnamon and other desktops and removes functionality from the Toolkit, turning all other desktops into having No Choice but to become "little Gnomes" that I take exception to.

Take that action out of the equation and it changes my entire attitude completely and I would be strongly supportive of Gnome.

Thanks for wording that in a way that made me critically examine how I just expressed myself, because it's plain to see I did so poorly.

3 Likes

No need to apologize, you explained/expressed it very well thank you. I'm glad asking you the question, got a lot more information and still learning more about Linux and desktops.

2 Likes

this may be due to certain conky script language being deprecated. In (Zorin 15) Ubuntu 18.04, conky automatically corrected for this. But in Ubuntu 20.04, this support was dropped.

Try formatting your Background image with
${image ./(image-name).png -p 0,0 -s (x-px-size)x(y-px-size)}

For example, one of my own that the image is named e on, uses ${image ./ef.png -p 0,0 -s 305x858}.

Use:

own_window yes
own_window_type normal
own_window_transparent true,
own_window_colour 282828
own_window_argb_value 0
own_window_argb_visual yes

(Yes, the comma is intention) In your window specifications.
Let me know if this helps or doesn't help.

2 Likes

Nope still transparent. My settings are as follows

own_window yes
own_window_type desktop
own_window_transparent true,
own_window_hints undecorated,sticky,skip_taskbar,skip_pager
own_window_colour 000000
own_window_argb_value 0
own_window_argb_visual yes

Close to your suggestion but I don't like the windowsbar on top (thats why I use window_hints) and the color settings you mention leave an foggy impression, so I left them to zero.

2 Likes

Interesting... I wonder if this is a difference between Gnome and XFCE. I have the opposite effect - with your settings, it makes a conky look translucent or foggy. And the type set to Desktop on XFCE would give it window borders.
So, it must be set to Normal.

2 Likes

Since I've installed Zorin16 I've tried al the options: normal, desktop, dock, panel or override - still no good result.

Perhaps it's like you mentioned:
" this may be due to certain conky script language being deprecated. In (Zorin 15) Ubuntu 18.04, conky automatically corrected for this. But in Ubuntu 20.04, this support was dropped."

I've also tried it with other ubuntu (20.04) derivatives and those produce a black background even worse than Zorin16.
No sweat, thank u for the good effort, conky is still running correct and luckily the pictures are still visible.

2 Likes

Are you using Conky manager or Conky Manager2?

1 Like

Did not know about conk-manager2.
Just removed the old conky and installed conky-manager2. But still transparent pictures

2 Likes

Can you open the Conky Manager/ click on the Conky you are using, then click on the Settings Icon on the top toolbar.
A popup window will open titled "Edit Widget."
There is a Transparency tab.
You may explore the Settings Manager and see if any of that makes a difference.

2 Likes

Just tried what u suggested, using all settings
Opaque, Transparent, Pseudo-Transparent and Semi-Transparent... still the same result transparent pics.

2 Likes

Aravisian, thank you for your great effort trying to resolve this.
Really appreciate it man - You Rock. I'm logging out and will see u soon.

2 Likes

When I have time, I will log in on Gnome Desktop and try testing conky script effects.

2 Likes

Love the Red and Blue ones, and on Page 2 the dark and with wood i like :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Bottom is an audio visualizer.

13 Likes

What conkys do you use. I like the top one. I like the bottom one but I don't use that kind of conky.

2 Likes

Top left is GitHub - takattila/Clock-With-Weather-Conky: Conky widget with clock and current weather report
By bottom if you mean the visualizer, that's Glava https://www.linuxuprising.com/2018/11/embed-audio-visualizer-on-your-linux.html
Everything else is just messing with gnome tweaks and extensions

4 Likes

I forgot to mention, your first desktop picture is what inspired me to learn how to make my desktop look cool. I just installed zorin a few days ago, and its my first time ever trying out linux.

4 Likes

Customizing your OS is part of the fun!
Zorin-OS-16-PRO-Outer-Space

4 Likes