Show me your specs!

I like how you went to all the time to do a little write up explaining the SPECS, even right down to your BIOS revision. Your attention to detail is impressive, as is your smooth blue icons. And don't think I didn't notice that little Windows 10 icon where the Zorin icon should be. lol

I think somebody fired the Z logo, and said, Windows10, your in, but not really, cause I am running Zorin Linux, WOOHOO! :joy:

2 Likes

Only because Quadcore hyperthreading.

YES lol
I have maxxed it out quickly and easily, at times...
Fortunately, my config and Zorin OS is quick, so I experience no lag or bogging down even when I max it out. It will usually start actively clearing at around 13 gigs. I did buy RAM, doubling what I originally got with the machine (8gigs).

This is running in one of the little Asrock A300 boxes.
Happily running a 4k monitor + an old apple cinema display.
I'm not a gamer but have installed steam link on my server for any games. Thatis where all my storage is as well.

Thats a nice computer GeneralMayhem! There was a time when a mini computer was considered something that fits into a suitcase. Imagine lugging that 20-pound monster on a plane with you? lol

But these days, what they are doing with mini computers, in those little Apple boxes, or the Intel ones, I mean, they are so tiny, but there's a whole computer in there! Thermals are usually not great, but dang man, they smaller then a notebook!

Technology man, getting smaller and smaller all the time. I love hearing about more people on Linux who are doing stuff in 4K. We need to keep spreading the gospal 4K is where its at people. Once you got 4K, you don't go back. lol

And you may not be a gamer, but your a gamer anyways. Night yall. You can tell I am tired, because I start forming an accent that goes between Texas and Canada, with slight elements of British, and Australian. I really need my sleep, I am losing it. lol

The good ol' days

Taken out from a James Bond movie :stuck_out_tongue:

Mine here:

Screenshot from 2022-02-08 08-23-28

Treker. Don't get your "mini computer" and "mini pc" mixed up. Mini Computers generally referred size down from "Mainframe Computers".

e.g. Mini Computer (late 1970's) e.g. DEC PDP-11.
PDP-11

You would not get that in a aircraft luggage bin.

Example of a "luggable computer" Osbourne1.

osbourne1

That weighed 25lb so best stowed under the aircraft seat.

Computers of this style, and one that Aravisian posted, and other ones like it, are the mini luggable computers I was talking about. I was only 5 pounds off from memory, but see how they are as big as a suitcase and weigh tons? There are some that have built in CRT screens too.

The truth of the matter is, they weren't really as portable as they claimed to be. They marketed them like notebook computers, which they totally weren't! They weight as much as desktop towers, think about it, 25 pounds? Sheesh! You better start doing your push ups, build that muscle lol.

Technically, we have a thread on the forum for old vs new tech. But the point is, we've come a long weigh from those 25 pound monstrosities, to the 6 pound or less notebooks we have today. When I say modern mini computers, this is what I am talking about.

Zaba says these are called mini pc's. OK, well, notebooks used to be called laptops in the 80's and 90's. Then people thought it was a bad idea to use laptops on your lap cause you burn something important off, so now they call them notebooks.

Termonologies always change, but the result is the same. Technology getting smaller and smaller, and faster and faster. Hopefully, in 20-years, quantum computing comes to all of us in our little boxes, on the hillside, little boxes made of ticky tacky, little boxes, little boxes, and there all just the same. lol

1 Like

My first

1 Like

I was very young when I first saw a computer like that... They were pretty much new computers.
My dad was a programmer so we were the only people in our neighborhood that had a computer in the home.
I remember it had a game I was allowed to play. You were a character that was a knight exploring a haunted castle. Your character was depicted by a t symbol, as it looked like a sword.
My grade school had computers in the "Media Room" that had 4.5 inch floppies that groaned and whirred loudly. You would pick a floppy that had a game or a story on it.

1 Like

found this ti99/4A at my daughters school fete in the original box , joined the Ti99/4A home computer group in sydney, Australia then purchased the expansion box, with the help of some great members in the club we removed the original 5.25 floppy drives replaced with 3.5inch ones . Along the way we added a RS232 card, memory expansion card, and eventually added a ram disk card
|Released:|June 1981|
Price:|US$525 (without monitor))
CPU:TI TMS9900, 3MHz|
Memory:16K RAM, 26K ROM
Display:Video via an RF modulator
32 characters by 24 lines text
192 X 256, 16 color graphics
Ports:ROM cartridge (on front)
Data storage cassette
Audio/Video output
Joystick input
CPU bus expansion
Peripherals:Speech Synthesizer
Peripheral Expansion Box
300 baud modem
Some Club members used the ti wright up to the early 90s then most went to the pc. Great days when people helped each other. We had our own monthly club magazine that had a total of 24pages, over the years i took on the role of editor on several occasions .
great times and great friends.
unfortunately time caught up on many members.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.