Show off your printer 🖨

Isn't FrenchPress amazing? If she's not cleaning her shelves, or cleaning the forum of troll mites, she's cleaning her printers This lady shows her resolve when she's got that duster in her hand. Pray you don't get on her bad side, she knows how to use it.

:rofl:

I also agree, I have already found it more economical to run ink toners that seem to last forever with my rare printing habbits, vs ink jet cartridges that only seem to last maybe 50-prints at most and their empty.

Also another issue that FrenchPress didn't mention that happens to inkjet cartridges, when you don't print for a long time, their dry out and will no longer print. Supposedly initiating a print head cleaning is supposed to revive them, yeah well, that doesn't always work though lol.

3 Likes

Actually it is no longer true for the newer models (at least Brother). It periodically cleans the nozzle to prevent clogging if it is not used for a extended period.

I do not know if it is intensionally or unintentionally, this auto clean cycle usually takes place in middle of the night and woke me up more than once :frowning:

1 Like

Not if you unplug the power lead.

3 Likes

:rofl:

2 Likes

6 cartridges, CMYK, Photo Blue, PG-BK580XL. XL cartridges give double the output of standard cartridges. During Lockdown I have gone for the Canon full set of CMYK XL with free pack of 6 x 4 photo paper (50 sheets) at just under £50 from Canon directly. The photo blue and PG-BK580XL black cartridges not available on website so had to purchase online from reseller about £15 each for the Blue and a bit less for the black cartridges. I don't do an awful lot of printing. Eldest has used it most for some school handouts. 2 sets lasts me about a year and a bit so far for all cartridges. When it comes to photos i much prefer ink over laser as the image quality on lasers used at work was always poor. Canon has always produced the best edge to edge printing - hp you had to do some funny shenanigans to get borderless printing to work.

Mines is about 4 years old and has the refillable tanks and it just starts up and cleans whenever ... only problem I have with mine is that either Zorin or LibreOffice has lousy drivers and refuses to use my Brother one ... even when I go back to Win (I use LibreOffice there too) I have to go into the Brother settings and switch back to their drivers or stay with the Libre ones ...

This is my Brother printer about the same vintage as yours. It is multifunction. It even has a fax capability (which we never use).

Shown below with a CD/DVD print insertion.

I've never had any issue using a Linux driver supplied by Brother.
https://support.brother.com/g/b/downloadtop.aspx?c=us&lang=en&prod=mfcj870dw_us_eu_as

2 Likes

In respect of ink heads failing on inkjet printers - at work I managed to get a Canon MG printer working again by removing the main head and running under hot water - problem fixed! :grin:

I was using these two:

2010 to 2020, HP Laserjet Pro 1102w:

2015 to 2020 Epson CISS L555:
epson L555

From 2020, HP Laserjet Pro MFP m479fdw:

First one, the unit seized and I didn't feel like trying to fix it. I probably could.

Second one, the printhead and dust/fur constantly messes up, and I couldn't clean up anymore easily. I'll have to take it apart and maybe I could fix it and get a dust cover whenever I'm not using it. Scanner still works.

I replaced the first two with the last one last year. The first two just sitting in storage now.

I had other Laserjets, inkjets, and dot matrix before these.

1 Like

I think this one might worse repairing.
Compatible toner cartridge for HP is very inexpensive and easy to find.
Compared with inkjet printer, the mechanism for laserjet is way simpler.

I've seen how much these modern HP Laserjet printers go for, its not something most of us can afford during a pandemic.

As you can see, they are quite expensive for modern day. So if you own one of these things, I think its a really good idea to do maintenance on it. Even businesses don't just go replacing their laserjet printers, they have a person come in to do maintenance on them.

I always use aftermarket toners.
It'll depend on what's broken and parts availability, somewhere.

1 Like

M428fdw is the baby brother model of my m479fdw.

I got 2 year extended warranty on top of the first year. Hopefully it'll last at least 10 years.

If its built to the standards of my 20 year old HP LaserJet 2100TN, then I can assure you it will. Laserjet printers by design are supposed to be able to print 1000 pages before they need any service other then simple tonar replacements. At least that used to be the standard, and with the cost of these modern HP LaserJet printers, I hope they have continued that standard.

1000 pages. Lol. I could go through that with just a few legal reports or court judgements if I print them out.

But, an office I worked at had a B/W HP Laserjet Pro MFP from 1999. Still works today, but unsupported by Win8.1 onwards. Microsoft sucks.

I need to clarify, after 1000-pages, its recommended to do basic cleaning of the printer, replacement of ink tonar as well, check mechanical parts like the rollers and whatnot.

staedtler-153-noris-ergosoft-jumbo-blyant-3-kantet-2b_pa-1246836

3 Likes

Violation, for that is not a number 2 pencil, it does not meet regulation. If you brought that pencil to school to do those antiquated punch card test, they would give you the what for, for not having a number 2 pencil. lol

1 Like

Staedtler is my favourite pencil brand!
:pencil2:

I'm going to bed now. Just want to say, FrenchPress rainbow :rainbow: duster which I call the puff puff to be cute, is so pretty. I think she wins hehe :blush: