Show off your printer 🖨

I thought what on earth is a number 2 pencil :thinking:.

Here we have grades of pencil 2B>B>HB>H>2H, where 2H is a hard technical drawing pencil and 2B is very soft art pencil.

I had a look at some old pencils and found one that says HB / 2.5. So guess number 2 is medium hard.

As I have said before, on here you learn something new every day. (however trivial :smiley:)

1 Like

For my unit m479fdw, official standard toners pages are rated approximately for around 2,400 Black and 2,100 each for C/M/Y. High yield are 7,500 and 6,000.

I bought aftermarket high yield ones with compatible chips. Much cheaper and print quality is the same.

That's luxury brand pencil. :joy:

I used these as a kid.

1 Like

@Storm @YukKevChuHau
There is always a place for the pencil in modern computing.

external-content.duckduckgo.com

Get your paper and pencil ready?

I used these as a kid. I'd use the again instead.

Provided you can still find its consumable supply.

Wouldn't be too hard. Typewriters are still sold and used all over the world. Just like fax machines are still being used with thermal paper, inkjet, or laserjet printouts .

1 Like

No electricity required :bulb:

If all fails, I'll use something like this again. I had a bunch as a kid. Lol.

Try to do that for Chinese/Japanese characters :wink:
We both know the answer.

Printing was invented in the Tang Dynasty (AD 618-906). Of the 100,000 or more characters, we typically only use less than 10,000 characters in our daily lives, and generally 3,000 should be enough for layman.

Shouldn't be too hard to not lose one.
:joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes

Sounds even worse/better (depend on how you see it) than Japanese language. I think the maximum is around 50,000. But we also have 2 other sets of alphabets (Hiragana and Katakana).

We also have two standardized ones, Traditional and Simplified, now. Mainland China and some Chinese communities in Southeast Asia uses Simplified. Others like Hong Kong, Macau, and Taiwan uses Traditional. But, each place also developed some sub-variants characters.

Aside from that, there's quite a few different stroke scripts styles developed over the millennia. Also, there's variants of many characters used historically by different ancient kingdoms or for modern artistic purposes.

Because of history, of the more than 300 languages and dialects used in PRC now, a few, like Cantonese from Guangzhou, has its own regional usage of variant characters too.

1 Like

Except for ...electric typewriters :rofl:

PS: Can you actually write legibly with a pen and pencil these days. I acknowledge my handwriting is now appalling, due to lack of use.

2 Likes

I also have to ask the same question to @YukKevChuHau
Because I type all time and rarely write by hand, I am losing a memory of how to write some Chinese characters. Yet at the same time, I now can read way more Chinese characters.
Is it not funny that we lose some but we gain some.

I grew up, mostly, in the US, so I never had any official Chinese language lessons or anything taught in Chinese. Everything in Chinese reading and writing, and speaking/listening to Mandarin/Putonghua were self-taught.

My family speaks Cantonese and Shanghainese at home because of our background. We grew up enforcing it when we were still in the US. English is something we'll always learn in school then, so it's up to home to teach our ethnic roots and language.

So my real penmanship in Chinese is poopoo and worse than a normal elementary/primary school kid over here in HK. But, I'm alright with writing using old school computer handwriting tablets or modern tablets/smartphones. I see Chinese every day over here, so it's hard to forget it.

I learned cursive writing back in elementary school in NYC. But, with years out of practice, it's poopoo now. Regular block writing in English, and the limited High School Spanish, is okay and better than most people.

1 Like

Ah, I see.
I grew up in Japan and apart from what was taught at school (mainly grammars) my English is self taught.

They make the best plastic erasers too!

2 Likes

It's a good thing you did. The more languages you know the better advantage you have. Now that you're in France, so you should know some French too, right?

It's sad how I know some immigrant parents in the US force their kids to ignore everything about their original heritage. It's good to assimilate into where you're living, but you'll lose the advantage of understanding multiple cultures by ignoring your origins, especially in the modern age where globalization is still the norm.

2 Likes

I agree. They're the best and quite famous over here in HK.

1 Like