Show year next to clock in taskbar

Hi,

I need my Zorin Taskbar to show the year next to the clock.
It just shows weekday, day, month & time

while I could add the weekday I couldn't find a tweak or working gnome extension to show the year.

My version: Zorin OS 16.3

Thank you for your help!

rfnX

I have found 3 Extensions that You could try:

Panel Date Format
or
Panel Date Format (Yes, it has the same Name)
or
Date Menu Formatter

The best would be to look in the Extensions Manager (You can find it in the Gnome Software Store as a Flatpak; it has a blue Puzzle Piece as Symbol) if they are compatible with Zorin 16.

Zorin OS 16.3 uses Gnome-Shell 3.38. The listed extensions do not show a selection for 3.38 in the Shell Version drop down menu, so proceed with caution...

It seems that Gnome initially dropped support for the feature because displaying the year can use the same format string as displaying your current week and rather than fix it, they just removed the year.

1 Like

Yes, Compatibility. I add my Comment with a Way to control it.

thanks for your tries but I didnt succed yet.

Installed "none of that 3 Extensions work as I first have to configure the Native Host connector.

on extensions.gnome.org:

I remember trying this some time ago, but after many hours the procedure became too strenuous. I'll probably have to take care of it first.

But I also have to admit that I'm a bit unnerved at the moment :wink:
So I'll tackle it all again as soon as my batteries feel a little more charged

Thanks for your help :pray:

Yes, the Website can be a little bit ... annoying. I don't use the Site too. I only wanted to show you the Results. I use the Extension Mananger:

You can find it in the Gnome Software Store. With this Program You can manage/adjust installed Extensions and on the Browse Tab You can search for Extensions and install them. There You can type in the Names of the Extensions and look if there are available.

the Extension Manager is working without any issues!
The Problem is that some Extensions cant work without the "Native Host Connector" of with the installation procedure is not that easy to what I remember.

Whatever ...
I probably won't have any choice but to try again if I have the nerve for it.

As soon done I'll post the result here :wink:

Date Menu Formatter works great for me:

Just added 'y' in appropriate place.

You can also make the day full, as well as the month and add seconds as in the screenshot above.

2 Likes

Unupported

Think I first need to get the Native Host-Connector issue fixed ...

You can install the Extension Manager:

sudo apt install gnome-shell-extension-manager

And install the extension that way.

That warning on the page is due to a bug within the browser where it reads for a two digit version number, but the supplied package has a three digit version number.

Oh no, its fixed for Firefox, but here its unsupported because of another issue

I had been trying to solve this problem for hours, but I had no idea why it wasn't working.

chrome-gnome-shell & gnome-shell-extension-prefs are installed, I use Firefox.
Anyway, I don't have any nerves about it anymore and I can live without the year in the taskbar

Nope :wink:

E: Package gnome-shell-extension-manager cannot be found.

Ah, I see why:

The application was not officially added to the Universe repository until Ubuntu 22.04.

I thought you were on Zorin OS 17.

Tried to run the upgrade to 17.1 before but could not finish because of an issue.

Will try to run it again and post the issue here in case it doesn't work, thank you :wink:

You can install the Extensions Manager as a Flatpak from the Gnome Software Center:

OK, this time the upgrade to 17.1 worked, the Zorin dev team (again) did a great job. All I had to do was to install gnome-shell-extension-manager via apt and I was able to add the year :wink:

Thanks to all :pray:

I just marked your last post #15 as Solution.

1 Like