Shutdown and reboot buttons

So I have done something and got no clue how to reverse it, therefore seeking for help.
I have used a command where both reboot and shutdown buttons on start menu work immediately.
There is no delay nor second button to confirm, as soon as you press shutdown/reboot it executes the command.
Any idea how to reverse it to get a pop up confirmation button back?

It really depends how you done it - can you tell or link what you done?

Thats the thing mate, I can't remember.
It's not like it bothers me much, but difficult to get used to it.

end of the command was -5 I believe, if it changes anything.

I'll see what I can find on the web. Are you using Gnome or XFCE?

Using Gnome.

I tried looking it up online but couldn't find much, so thought I'd reach out here.

It's a gsetting. Let me see if I can find it.

Try

gsettings set org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.power button-power 'interactive'
1 Like

Did not work.
There was a value i had to change to -5 I believe.

Not sure on "-5"
Can you open the Settings app (gnome-control-center) and move to the Power Tab. Under Suspend and Power "Power button behavior" there should be a Drop Down Menu you can change the setting with.

If you haven't cleared your terminal history after doing that, you could try checking it to see the command you used.

I found similar topic but it's not on Gnome, but MATE.

Basically trying to get back to previous stage where the dialog of 60s does show up.
Seems like every command I am trying to use just refuses to work.

define AUTOMATIC ACTION TIMEOUT from 60 to 5 , anything to do with that command ? perhaps I misunderstood when I thought it had been changed to -5 (could've been 5 instaed).

Your thinking is clear; but this deals with how long a machine can sit idle before automatically logging out.
Try:

gsettings set org.gnome.SessionManager logout-prompt true

1 Like

Okay yes, this has worked.
Been looking at gsettings list earlier and somehow I had missed it.
Thanks!

I think that (5) memory was trying to lead you off on a chase. It probably was one of the things you had tried back then.
I have learned the hard way that when I change a System File or configuration, to make a note of what I did in a changes.txt list I store in Documents. This way, I can more easily know what I did and revert it.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.