Snap package instead of Flatpack in Zorin Store (How?)

Good afternoon Tell me how to make sure that there are applications from SnapStore in the native app store? And how to completely remove Flathub? flatpack apps don't work properly, unlike the same Snap apps (I'm talking about IDEs from JEtbrains, Telegram, etc.)...

1 Like

The source of an application is listed at the top right when you install.

I also agree. Snap packages have given me more far less trouble than Flatpaks for that type of application.

1 Like

You can open Snapcraft directly to browse its contents.

Same for flat packages, so on Flathub.

Some software pages on the store allow you to choose its source though.

Personally, I simply uninstall the software through its store page and then remove any folder left over after the uninstallation in home/.var/app. As flats installs on the hidden .var folder you have to show hidden stuff on your files manager settings.

2 Likes

This is probably the best solution actually. That way they can be absolutely certain he is getting the Snap package.

They can run the command to install that is listed on the application page.

1 Like

In a perfect world, that would be the ideal. And with open source software this has always worked out for me. Sad part of the story is that this doesn't always work out with proprietary software. Steam deb package just won't launch some games, steam flatpak works. Steam flatpak itself stops launching after nvidia driver kernel update. Steam snap will still work. Discord deb package will have trouble connecting all the time, when the client is outdated. You'll need to wait a couple days until the package is updated. Discord flatpak and snap are updated much faster. Zoom will not connect, if your deb package is outdated. You need to wait for a package update. The flatpak and snap are updated much faster.
Now you can say, you can just not use proprietary software. Well, yeah, then I can also quit my job, which forces me to use Zoom.
Steam and Discord are personal decisions of course, but I don't wanna miss out on gaming.

1 Like

I won't argue that the client not working properly because it's slightly outdated is not a problem... but to be fair, this isn't a problem of .deb or .rpm but with the design decisions that those companies made about their software.

With Steam in particular, I'm a bit surprised since it has it's own update mechanism so you don't need to go through the package manager if you don't want to. I haven't checked if this is the latest version, but it comes from Steam itself so it'd be surprising as well.

1 Like

Thanks that's a good link!

Exactly. What couple of days are needed? That's a new one to me, too.

1 Like

Thanks everyone for the replies! Yes, I do that (snap install phpstorm/etc) .. I just wanted to install through the Zorin built-in store.

A particular one that I remember was Civ VI. It would not launch with Steam deb. It would launch with flatpak or snap.

I agree. It isn't a problem of deb. Still, me not being able to connect to servers forces me to use snaps or flatpaks.

With Steam, the problem was not connecting or it being up to date or whatever. The problem was the .deb package would not launch some games, whereas flatpak or snap would.

1 Like

Then I am maybe not skilled enough. I remember in particular not getting Discord to update properly manually before the update made it to the repos.

The couple of days that it takes for the update to be in the repos. I feel flatpaks and snaps get updates sooner.

I see. I misunderstood your sentence at first.

I must be honest though... I hope I never see the day that I fret over getting an update to Discord (Which I never notice any difference whatsoever between the many updates I have gotten so far) two days later than someone else does.

If it was a couple months I might see the point.

1 Like

I agree. It is not a big deal at all. It never upset me. It was just that when I had a meeting planned with friends and Discord needed an update on that very day, I had the choice to either not meet them that day or use the flatpak/snap. I usually had one of those installed as a backup for these cases.

1 Like

I don't see anything different when Discord is updated either. And by the way, I hate Discord Updater utility, it shows up every time I open Discord just to delay Discord launch itself. First of all, there are no updates so often to justify checking Discord Updater every time I start Discord, and then there's no need to be so obsessed with finding the latest version available anyway.

1 Like

It seems that many of you have had the same problems that I have had with Flatpak. I have often had problems with Flatpak apps (Mailspring, Nextcloud-desktop, Gnumeric) and the solution has been to remove the Flatpak apps and install the Snap version. Is there a particular reason that Snaps work better than Flatpak is many cases?

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.