"Software" install assigns wrong program to launcher for Lucky Backup

"Software" offers two versions of Lucky Backup: "user", and "root". I installed the "user" version, but the the Launcher shows the "root" version, and if I try to launch it, it just disappears without launching anything. Launching luckybackup from the console correctly launches the "user" version. This only happens on Zorin, I have a dual boot system, Zorin OS 16, and Mint 20.04. Mint, and Ubuntu 21.10 on another machine do not have this problem.
inxi output
System:
Kernel: 5.11.0-41-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: N/A
parameters: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-5.11.0-41-generic
root=UUID=13663459-81dd-464d-b0b1-fb226429c2db ro quiet splash
Desktop: Gnome 3.38.4 wm: gnome-shell dm: GDM3 3.38.2.1
Distro: Zorin OS 16 base: Ubuntu 20.04 LTS Focal

How did you install this application? Details please (and links if you downloaded a .deb).

Thanks for your reply. I installed it using the Zorin "Software" app under "System Tools". When I saw that the launcher listed "Lucky Backup (super user)" I thought I had accidentally installed the wrong one, so I went back to "Software" to install the other version (not super user), but it said it was already installed. It seems like the part of the installer that links the program to the launcher has the wrong file name in it, so it tries to launch a program that hasn't been installed. I have a work-around since I can launch it from the console. PROBLEM SOLVED -- just discovered that the launcher for the "non-super user" is located in a different menu -- "Accessories", and the launcher for the super user version is placed in the "System Tools" menu even though that program is not installed. That's much less of a problem, perhaps this thread could be closed.

Would you consider trying the APT version? sudo apt install luckybackup

See my edit to my previous reply. I will try the apt install and let you know what happens.

Apt says it's already the newest version:
sudo apt install luckybackup
[sudo] password for james:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
luckybackup is already the newest version (0.5.0-3build1).
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
hplip-data libmagickcore-6.q16-6 libmagickcore-6.q16-6-extra
libmagickwand-6.q16-6 python3-renderpm python3-reportlab
python3-reportlab-accel
Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove them.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

So ... it looks like the only issue here is that if you install ONE version of Lucky Backup, the Launcher acquires links to BOTH programs, and of course only one of them works. Maybe that's more of an "odd feature" than a "problem".

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.