Software process never completes installing

hmmmmm....interesting. Can you show me the terminal steps for that please?

I presently have a Gnome "installing" process that never installs, nor can I delete it. Oh bust! :slight_smile: Need a way to get rid of that process as well.

What I remember the most about Gnome from the early days before I got out of Linux was that I did not like it. No so sure that will change. :slight_smile:

1 Like

You can try one of these :point_down:

sudo apt clean && sudo apt autoremove

sudo apt update && sudo full-upgrade

By the way, those times that I had a software never installing I just stopped it and restarted, tried later or on next reboot.

2 Likes

I will give that a shot.

@Aravisian - thanks for splitting this off. It was OT for the original thread and I did not think about that when I made the post. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The above command "sudo full-upgrade" did not work so I did a "sudo apt full-upgrade" and upgraded the below.

Get:1 Index of /ubuntu focal-updates/main amd64 python3-problem-report all 2.20.11-0ubuntu27.25 [11.0 kB]
Get:2 Index of /ubuntu focal-updates/main amd64 python3-apport all 2.20.11-0ubuntu27.25 [86.4 kB]

This however did not fix the Gnome Applications update that is stuck on installing. I have selected Update All and nothing happens, ever.

That is a Flatpak package, I believe. Zorin OS uses Gnome 3.38 from APT, as well.
Try

flatpak update

Yep...that #flatpak update did the trick. I did need to do a reboot to clear the failed installing part out of the software apt.

In the below image, do I need to Remove the versions 3.38 and 42?

No, each of those are Flatpak dependencies.

Some explaining is in order...

With APT - Advanced Package Tool, installing a package must also install any needed dependencies to make the package work.
A dependency is any package that is needed in order for another to work. For example, a GUI application will depend on there being a Window manager.
With APT, these are all standardized by version. So you only install dependencies that you need.

Snap and Flatpak both containerize their packages. Snap packages carry all dependencies that package will need, whether you have them installed already or not. This can cause Snap Packages to get quite bloated.
Flatpak also brings all dependencies with, though it is a little better than Snap in this... Once you install your duplicate dependencies, they count without having to install them again and again. So it is a little bit less bloated than Snap is.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.