Software Updater doesn't show any drivers

So I am in the software and updates app at additional drivers and nothing shows? I want to update my graphic driver in the hopes to fix a line in the screen perhaps it could be screen tearing I am not so sure.

Any idea why it doesn't show any drivers?

It pretty much only shows Nvidia drivers, since Nvidia has Proprietary Clsoed Source drivers.
AMD and Intel have Open Source drivers which can be included in the Linux Kernel.

What is the output of

sudo lshw -C video

*-display
description: VGA compatible controller
product: Iris Plus Graphics G7
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 2
bus info: pci@0000:00:02.0
logical name: /dev/fb0
version: 07
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pciexpress msi pm vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom fb
configuration: depth=32 driver=i915 latency=0 mode=1920x1200 visual=truecolor xres=1920 yres=1200
resources: iomemory:600-5ff iomemory:400-3ff irq:173 memory:603d000000-603dffffff memory:4000000000-400fffffff ioport:4000(size=64) memory:c0000-dffff

I think I may just have screen tearing so I am following this guy in the hopes to fix it. How to Fix Intel Graphics Horizontal Lines Tearing Bug in Debian, Linux Mint and Ubuntu - YouTube

I cant remember and tried to find it in the work we did together how we eventually fixed my screen tearing and after my fresh install today I have it again. Oh, well, getting more confident with linux though:)

Last I recall was this thread which remains unsolved:

1 Like

That is true it was never completely gone but I only had the line when the laptop was in tablet mode, now I have it all the time. I have tried the changes in the grub menu and they didn't completely solve it. too bad back to researching it.

1 Like

There are a lot of unresolved issues on the forum as a whole and each one remains a thorn in my paw.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.