Software updater failed to download and now its locked?

I don't know if this is my internet problem causing this or my location trying to access the updater location having problems, since some access to popular sites seem to be down such as google.com and Onedrive, heck I can't even log into my microsoft account (these always give me time out error).

Anyway, the updaters was doing its job downloading updates until i noticed there were 2 that failed to be downloaded, kernels i believe. So after retrying the updater it gives "Failed to download repository information".
Tried with terminal and this is what it showed,

sudo apt update
Reading package lists... Done
E: Could not get lock /var/lib/apt/lists/lock. It is held by process 4599 (aptd)
N: Be aware that removing the lock file is not a solution and may break your system.
E: Unable to lock directory /var/lib/apt/lists/

I did speedtest but everything was ok with 30mbps DL and 20mbps Upload. Other sites or search engines also work fine(duck2go, bing, yahoo)

will this fix itself when new updates comes or do i have to unlocked the locked processes first? if so, how do i do this?

It looks like aptd got caught in a loop, due to the dropping internet.

Rebooting should resolve the running process causing apt to be locked.

rebooting does resolve the lock problem. However after running sudo apt update, i noticed the same info as updater, there are 2 that failed again (#7 and #8 and #17)
Hit:1 Index of /repos/edge/ stable InRelease
Hit:2 Index of /ubuntu/21.04/prod/ hirsute InRelease
Hit:3 Index of /stable/ focal InRelease
Hit:4 Index of /patches/ focal InRelease
Hit:5 Index of /apps/ focal InRelease
Hit:6 Index of /drivers/ focal InRelease
Err:7 Index of /ubuntu focal InRelease
Connection failed [IP: 2001:67c:1562::18 80]
Err:8 Index of /ubuntu focal-updates InRelease
Connection failed [IP: 2620:2d:4000:1::16 80]
Hit:9 Index of /ubuntu focal-backports InRelease
Hit:10 Index of /ubuntu focal-security InRelease
Hit:11 Index of /repos/code/ stable InRelease
Ign:12 Index of /morphis/anbox-support/ubuntu focal InRelease
Hit:13 Index of /zorinos/apps/ubuntu focal InRelease
Hit:14 Index of /zorinos/drivers/ubuntu focal InRelease
Hit:15 Index of /zorinos/patches/ubuntu focal InRelease
Hit:16 Index of /zorinos/stable/ubuntu focal InRelease
Err:17 Index of /morphis/anbox-support/ubuntu focal Release
404 Not Found [IP: 91.189.95.85 80]
Reading package lists... Done
E: The repository 'Index of /morphis/anbox-support/ubuntu focal Release' does not have a Release file.
N: Updating from such a repository can't be done securely, and is therefore disabled by default.
N: See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration details.

Will this locked the processes again if i do the software updater?

This repository does not have a release file for Focal Fossa - it does not have an available package in the repository and is useless.
You can open Software & Updates, navigate to other software and click on that repository to select it. Now, click on the remove button at the bottom.
This will remove that repo, since it is non functional.
The package Anbox is included in the Focal Ubuntu Main Universe repo, and can be installed with:

sudo apt install anbox

No, that was an unusual circumstance due to net droppage. It is not something to expect, only to correct in the off-chance that occurs.

For #7 and #8 - perhaps try again, later...

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.