Software Updater: update-initramfs...Possible missing firmware

I have been installing and uninstalling some apps today and decided to have a clean up after.
sudo apt clean
sudo apt-get autoremove

I then fired up Software Updater, which found a OS base update, so installed it.
I noticed the following errors at the end of that process

Processing triggers for install-info (6.5.0.dfsg.1-2) …
Processing triggers for initramfs-tools (0.130ubuntu3.9) …
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-5.4.0-45-generic
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/i915/tgl_dmc_ver2_04.bin for module i915
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/i915/skl_guc_33.0.0.bin for module i915
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/i915/bxt_guc_33.0.0.bin for module i915
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/i915/kbl_guc_33.0.0.bin for module i915
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/i915/glk_guc_33.0.0.bin for module i915
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/i915/kbl_guc_33.0.0.bin for module i915
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/i915/icl_guc_33.0.0.bin for module i915
I: The initramfs will attempt to resume from /dev/sda5
I: (UUID=d86b61c5-3a69-49b5-a52f-96ec97473ea5)
I: Set the RESUME variable to override this.
Log ended: 2020-09-05 16:24:25

Are these just “Possible” errors or something I should worry about as Zorin boots and runs OK.
I am booting 5.4.0-45 and also have 5.4.0-42 listed in GRUB.

1 Like

I have seen these too but never really considered looking into it further. The OS runs fine.

3 Likes

Thanks for the replies and link.
Seems that the errors may just go away next kernel update.
As no functionality seems affected, I will wait and see instead of messing about with it for the time being.

I noticed the same errors when new kernel came in yesterday. So decided to download the 6 missing files, copied them to /lib/firmware/i915, then performed two commands as per link provided by @jgordon
sudo update-initramfs -u
sudo apt-get update -y
Did a reboot and Zorin still works- phew! :sweat_smile:

I will see what happens on next kernel update.

2 Likes

Another solution is, because 5.4xx is an Ubuntu Focal kernel, to just download the later linux-firmware package from here:

It overwrites the out of date firmware package in the repos, & problem goes away.
1 Like

I also experience the same thing as you after every kernel update. but the os is running fine.

@zabadabadoo Which command do i use to download these missing firmwares i am newbie to the Zorin OS?

@Jonte what firmware issues do you have? also is it affecting how ZorinOS is running?
You can find from the posts above and the link provided by @jgordon what worked in my case.
I did not neded to try the solution provided by @ManicMan

Edit: Is your post a duplicate of this thread?

Please avoid duplicate posts as this can cause confusion and dilute the support available. Maybe stop here and continue on that other thread.

2 posts were split to a new topic: Installing Zorin 16 Pro disabled initramfs error