Software Updates issue

I have been using Zorin Core since version 16 first came out. I noticed that it seemed to prompt me to install updates every day. So I changed the settings to only look for updates every 2 weeks and this made no difference. It did let me choose to only notify me vs just installing them, but if I choose not to install the updates there is a 50% chance that all of my desktop icons, task bar and open windows will disappear forcing a reboot, and will happen again within 12 hours unless I install the updates. If I continually choose to ignore the updates it will do the above more frequently. This is more annoying than Microsoft Windows.
A Linux system should not be forcing updates like this and there are just WAY too many updates. Also the desktop software updater seems to NOT notice that I have already ran and installed updates via APT from the command line. The last time this happened was 20 minutes ago. This is very annoying.

I am not sure what to say about this. I have two PCs with Zorin 16.3 and they run without a hitch. The software center works great giving me access to Flatpaks, Snaps, and Debian/Ubuntu packages. Sudo apt update/upgrade in the terminal only works for Debian/Ubuntu packages. You have to use a different command for Flatpaks and Snaps. I think with Snaps, they update themselves but I don't know since I have only 2 Snap packages I think. I hope you can find out what the problem is with the software center. Again, for me it works great and I have not modified anything or removed any applications. :v:

3 Likes

That was my first thought, too. The Software Center will try to update flatpaks and snaps separately, and one of the main reasons those package formats exist in the first place is to allow and encourage developers to release new versions of their software more quickly, and push them to the end user. This would explain the frequency of updates, at least partially.

You can find out which, and how many, packages you have installed in these formats by running these two commands separately on a Terminal window:

flatpak list
snap list

ZorinOS Core already includes a few Flatpak packages, mainly for the themes, that shouldn't be causing too many updates. But if you find you have more, try to compare the names to the ones that appear when you are prompted for updates.

By the way, are you on Zorin Core or Lite? Your profile currently reflects you're using both versions.

2 Likes

The issue just happened yesterday 20 or so minutes before I made this post and I had installed all the updates at that time. Now Zorin OS just made me install updates again then prompted to restart. I chose to restart later. I can keep postponing the restart, that for about 4 or 5 days then the same issue will happen. Usually each day even though I choose restart later, Zorin will pull more updates during that time. But when the issue happens all my desktop Icons will disappear and then the only way to get them back is to restart.

Did you keep track of which packages it's installing?

not in detail. One was Zorin OS security, there were some kernel headers, and then some font packages.

The other software items usually appear on the software tab. Occasionally I will see Firefox or Brave listed in the Software Updater pop up. The item that pops up daily that is tied to this issue is not when launching the Software store, but the Software Updater utility (icon looks like two arrows circling in an orange circle).

Well, let's see how many packages you have installed as Flatpak and Snap formats. Which ones is not really important, it's more about the count. I don't imagine there are too many but maybe it is significant enough.

flatpak list
snap list

~$ flatpak list
Name Application ID Version Branch Origin Installation
RedNotebook …dnotebook.RedNotebook 2.31 stable flathub system
TuxGuitar …m.tuxguitar.TuxGuitar 1.5.6 stable flathub system
Bitwig Stu… …m.bitwig.BitwigStudio 4.1 Beta 5 beta-version flathub system
Planner …thub.alainm23.planner 3.0.10 stable flathub system
cozy trans… …hub.geigi.cozy.Locale stable flathub system
Labyrinth …yrinth_team.labyrinth 0.6 stable flathub system
PdfJumbler …hub.mgropp.PdfJumbler 0.3.0 stable flathub system
Minder …thub.phase1geo.minder 1.15.6 stable flathub system
Notes-Up …philip_scott.notes-up 2.0.2 stable flathub system
CherryTree com.giuspen.cherrytree 0.99.47 stable flathub system
GtkStressT… com.leinardi.gst 0.7.6 stable flathub system
Blanket …afaelmardojai.Blanket 0.6.0 stable flathub system
Todoist: T… com.todoist.Todoist 8.4.3 stable flathub system
Tux, of Ma… com.tux4kids.tuxmath 2.0.3 stable flathub system
Done dev.edfloreshz.Done 0.2.0 stable flathub system
Tux Planet… …netSpeedrunAnyPercent 1.05 stable flathub system
Flowblade …ub.jliljebl.Flowblade 2.10.0.4 stable flathub system
Timetable …ub.kaschpal.timetable 1.3 stable flathub system
ReTux …thub.retux_game.retux 1.6.2 stable flathub system
This Week … …rexl.thisweekinmylife 0.0.3 stable flathub system
LibreWolf …b.librewolf-community 118.0.1-1 stable flathub system
Extreme Tu… …forge.ExtremeTuxRacer 0.8.2 stable flathub system
SuperTuxKa… …rtuxkart.SuperTuxKart 1.4 stable flathub system
Tuxpuck org.debian.TuxPuck 0.8.2 stable flathub system
TAP-plugins …inuxAudio.Plugins.TAP 1.0.1 21.08 flathub system
TAP-plugins …inuxAudio.Plugins.TAP 1.0.1 22.08 flathub system
SWH …inuxAudio.Plugins.swh 0.4.17 21.08 flathub system
SWH …inuxAudio.Plugins.swh 0.4.17 22.08 flathub system
Freedeskto… ….freedesktop.Platform 20.08.21 20.08 flathub system
Freedeskto… ….freedesktop.Platform 21.08.22 21.08 flathub system
Freedeskto… ….freedesktop.Platform 22.08.16 22.08 flathub system
Freedeskto… ….freedesktop.Platform 23.08.2 23.08 flathub system
i386 ….Platform.Compat.i386 21.08 flathub system
default …p.Platform.GL.default 19.08 flathub system
Mesa …p.Platform.GL.default 21.1.8 20.08 flathub system
Mesa …p.Platform.GL.default 21.3.9 21.08 flathub system
Mesa …p.Platform.GL.default 23.1.8 22.08 flathub system
Mesa (Extr… …p.Platform.GL.default 23.1.8 22.08-extra flathub system
Mesa …p.Platform.GL.default 23.1.8 23.08 flathub system
Mesa (Extr… …p.Platform.GL.default 23.1.8 23.08-extra flathub system
default …Platform.GL32.default 21.08 flathub system
ffmpeg-full ….Platform.ffmpeg-full 21.08 flathub system
ffmpeg-full ….Platform.ffmpeg-full 22.08 flathub system
openh264 …top.Platform.openh264 2.1.0 2.0 flathub system
openh264 …top.Platform.openh264 2.1.0 2.2.0 flathub system
freedeskto… …reedesktop.Sdk.Locale 19.08 flathub system
FreeFileSy… …filesync.FreeFileSync 13.0 stable flathub system
Freeplane org.freeplane.App 1.11.6 stable flathub system
Getting Th… org.gnome.GTG 0.6 stable flathub system
GNOME Appl… org.gnome.Platform 3.38 flathub system
GNOME Appl… org.gnome.Platform 41 flathub system
GNOME Appl… org.gnome.Platform 42 flathub system
GNOME Appl… org.gnome.Platform 44 flathub system
GNOME Appl… org.gnome.Platform 45 flathub system
ZorinBlue-… …3theme.ZorinBlue-Dark 3.22 zorinos system
ZorinBlue-… …theme.ZorinBlue-Light 3.22 zorinos system
ZorinGreen… …theme.ZorinGreen-Dark 3.22 zorinos system
ZorinGreen… …heme.ZorinGreen-Light 3.22 zorinos system
ZorinGrey-… …3theme.ZorinGrey-Dark 3.22 zorinos system
ZorinGrey-… …theme.ZorinGrey-Light 3.22 zorinos system
ZorinOrang… …heme.ZorinOrange-Dark 3.22 zorinos system
ZorinOrang… …eme.ZorinOrange-Light 3.22 zorinos system
ZorinPurpl… …heme.ZorinPurple-Dark 3.22 zorinos system
ZorinPurpl… …eme.ZorinPurple-Light 3.22 zorinos system
ZorinRed-D… …k3theme.ZorinRed-Dark 3.22 zorinos system
ZorinRed-L… …3theme.ZorinRed-Light 3.22 zorinos system
Adwaita th… org.kde.KStyle.Adwaita 5.15-21.08 flathub system
Adwaita th… org.kde.KStyle.Adwaita 5.15-22.08 flathub system
KDE Applic… org.kde.Platform 5.15-21.08 flathub system
KDE Applic… org.kde.Platform 5.15-22.08 flathub system
kde platfo… …g.kde.Platform.Locale 5.15 flathub system
QGnomePlat… …mTheme.QGnomePlatform 5.15 flathub system
QGnomePlat… …mTheme.QGnomePlatform 5.15-21.08 flathub system
QGnomePlat… …mTheme.QGnomePlatform 5.15-22.08 flathub system
QtSNI …e.PlatformTheme.QtSNI 5.15 flathub system
QtSNI …e.PlatformTheme.QtSNI 5.15-21.08 flathub system
QAdwaitaDe… …n.QAdwaitaDecorations 5.15-22.08 flathub system
QGnomePlat… …mePlatform-decoration 5.15 flathub system
QGnomePlat… …mePlatform-decoration 5.15-21.08 flathub system
QGnomePlat… …mePlatform-decoration 5.15-22.08 flathub system
digiKam org.kde.digikam 8.1.0 stable flathub system
Kdenlive org.kde.kdenlive 23.08.1 stable flathub system
Firefox org.mozilla.firefox 118.0.1 stable flathub system
SuperTux …ertuxproject.SuperTux 0.6.3 stable flathub system
Stunt Rally ….tuxfamily.StuntRally 2.7 stable flathub system
Tux Paint org.tuxpaint.Tuxpaint 0.9.31 stable flathub system
Super Tux … …upertux.supertuxparty Alpha v0.9 stable flathub system

$ snap list
Name Version Rev Tracking Publisher Notes
bare 1.0 5 latest/stable canonicalâś“ base
bashtop 0.9.25 504 latest/stable kz6fittycent -
bpytop 1.0.68 261 latest/stable kz6fittycent -
brave 1.58.137 291 latest/stable braveâś“ -
btop 1.2.13 655 latest/stable kz6fittycent -
core 16-2.60.4 16202 latest/stable canonicalâś“ core
core18 20230703 2790 latest/stable canonicalâś“ base
core20 20230801 2015 latest/stable canonicalâś“ base
core22 20230801 864 latest/stable canonicalâś“ base
cups 2.4.6-4 980 latest/stable openprintingâś“ -
documentnode 1.6.4 16 latest/stable jkwang -
gnome-3-28-1804 3.28.0-19-g98f9e67.98f9e67 198 latest/stable canonicalâś“ -
gnome-3-34-1804 0+git.3556cb3 93 latest/stable canonicalâś“ -
gnome-3-38-2004 0+git.efb213a 143 latest/stable canonicalâś“ -
gnome-42-2204 0+git.ff35a85 141 latest/stable canonicalâś“ -
gog-galaxy-wine 2.0 499 latest/stable lucyllewy✪ -
gtk-common-themes 0.1-81-g442e511 1535 latest/stable canonicalâś“ -
indicator-sensors 1.4+git3.13ff2e5 314 latest/stable alexmurray✪ -
lutris 0.5.13 211 latest/edge capecrusader-121 -
mesa-core22 22.2.5 208 latest/stable canonicalâś“ -
munatask 2.3.2 15 latest/stable munareto -
notepad-plus-plus 8.4.9 386 latest/stable mmtrt -
notepadqq 1.4.8 855 latest/stable danieleds -
organize-my-files 3.3.3 65 latest/stable qiplexâś“ -
paintsupreme-3d 1.0.41 2 latest/stable braindistrict -
snapd 2.60.3 20092 latest/stable canonicalâś“ snapd
stretchly 1.14.1 42 latest/stable conta-srdr -
trello-desktop 1.0.10 17 latest/stable joshua-redmond -
weektodo 2.1.0 30 latest/stable merodriguez9112 -
wekan 6.09 1999 latest/stable xet7 -
wine-platform-6-stable 6.0.4 19 latest/stable mmtrt -
wine-platform-7-devel-core20 7.22 24 latest/stable mmtrt -
wine-platform-runtime v1.0 349 latest/stable mmtrt -
wine-platform-runtime-core20 v1.0 81 latest/stable mmtrt -
wireless-tools 2 7 latest/stable canonicalâś“ -
xiaomiquan 0.0.84 7 latest/stable jeasoncc -
WARNING: There is 1 new warning. See 'snap warnings'.

Mmmm I think this amount of packages may be enough to explain the issue to some degree. For reference, on a fresh installation of ZorinOS there are no snaps and only around ~20 flatpak packages. But I don't think this is the entire picture, I find it unlikely that all of these developers have decided to update their software at the same time and frequency.

My guess, admittedly due to lack of a better one, is that one or all of these three are the offending packages:

GNOME Appl… org.gnome.Platform 3.38 flathub system
GNOME Appl… org.gnome.Platform 41 flathub system
GNOME Appl… org.gnome.Platform 42 flathub system

The reason being because I've recently started to see warning messages such as this one, advising that the Gnome 43 runtime has reached end of life (and therefore older runtimes must be also unsupported):

Info: runtime org.gnome.Platform branch 43 is end-of-life, with reason:
The GNOME 43 runtime is no longer supported as of September 20, 2023. Please ask your application developer to migrate to a supported platform.
Info: applications using this runtime:
nl.hjdskes.gcolor3

Now, even with this warning, my system doesn't seem to complain about it in the regular software updates. And this is on a virtual machine which I only update around once a week, so delayed updates lagging behind also seems unlikely.

But then again I have no snaps on this system so it's possible that the same logic is true for snaps, which may then be the ones causing trouble. I suppose it could also be that some previous update has gone wrong somewhere along the way and left the system damaged somehow.

Try to expand on the update prompt whenever you see it again and take a note of which packages are trying to get updated, maybe we'll see something there. Perhaps is worth considering to re-install, too.

1 Like

This isn't a new issue. It has been happening since I installed first installed ZorinOS back in 2021, even before enabling snaps.

I have had the OS set to NOT check for any updates at all for over a year and it still does it daily. I can't turn it off. Its like it ignores me and if I try to ignore the updates the issue happens.

If you want to try to recreate the issue, On that software updater page. Keep clicking remind me later. Leave your computer on 24x7, but when you go to sleep lock the computer with Window button + L. The next day when you unlock the computer, it will ask again about the updates. As you keep doing so the list of updates will get longer and longer because the system keeps checking for updates multiple times a day. Keep choosing remind me later and leave the computer on. I rarely ever shut this computer off and it urks me this makes me do so. Its one of the main reasons why I don't use Windows 10 or 11 as my daily driver.

At first I thought it may be a memory issue given that I tend to keep 20+ browser tabs open all day, but with 32gb of ram and a 8c/16t system that should not be an issue.

This is as close as I can get to turning off the updates.. based on these settings it should not be checking daily, but it does as I can't tell it NOT to look for security updates.

Screenshot from 2023-10-10 19-36-37

I am in agreement with @zenzen on this.

It is already known that SnapD (By the developers design) intentionally disregards user settings about Automatic Updates. Canonical felt that users should accept the updates without being able to push them back.

It really sounds to me like you are needlessly disregarding all updates. I can see how a person might need to apt mark-hold a package that is essential to not update (upgrade). But disregarding all updates for a long period of time doesn't make sense to me.
This will cause the system to push the Essential Security Updates and this will carry along all other updates listed (of course) since they have been left in the queue.

The Update-Notifier gives me a popup maybe about once per month.
I am confident that most users can relate to this as a common experience.

You are experiencing something different. And this may be a combination of Snapd, your rather long-period pushing updates off and the presence of the package "Unattended-upgrades" on your system.

Fortunately, you can do something about all three of these.

• For Snapd, in spite of the developers being forceful, you can refresh snap in terminal and check for upgrades. While this may seem like you are giving in... It kind of is what you wanted in the first place because the primary reason to use Snap Packages is to get the most upgraded package versions.
    I would recommend repeating this step for your many Flatpaks, too.
  • For unattended upgrades nagging; you can run sudo dpkg-reconfigure unattended-upgrades in terminal and select the "No" option at the prompt for auto download and install updates. Run sudo apt remove --purge unattended-upgrades to remove the nagware. This one alone should help resolve the lions share of your annoyance.
  • Change some habits. Many of these backlogged upgrades are critical and ignoring them can result in system failures or driver failures. Go ahead and run the system updates and upgrades and get into the habit of running sudo apt update && sudo apt dist-upgrade in your terminal about every three weeks or so. This is what I do - and I am very rarely given a popup with notifications for upgrades.
1 Like

Specifically for Snaps, there is a daemon that runs in the background and checks 4 times per day for updates. The package manager has nothing to do with it. But for Flatpaks, yes. Same for Debian/Ubuntu apt packages - the package manager handles it. But, when you open the software center for updates, I think it may do a snap refresh - not sure.

I found this thread on the Ubuntu forums where a user reported a similar issue, and solved it by disabling software updates using dconf. I'm not sure if it's installed by default but you can easily install it with:

sudo apt install dconf-editor

This is the GUI editor as it's easier to navigate. Then as per the thread, go to org.gnome.software and disable "download-updates" from there, and let's see if this makes any difference.

2 Likes

Installing some of those programs using a .deb or through the terminal/synaptic may help free up some space and reduce your need of snapd and it's incessant update requirements. While this may not be something you want to hear, your system would benefit both in space, reliability and speed.

Brave, lutris, wine, notepadqq and possibly a few others can be installed by an alternative method. This reduces the amount of gnome-3/4* packages required for snap, reducing the number of security and improvement updates for those packages. Many of the dependencies prepackaged with the snaps will depend on the system version if installed by apt/.deb, removing possible conflicts and update requirements.

Of course, there are a few applications that may not have an aptitude version. Those would have to remain snaps or you could look to flatpak to remove your dependency on snapd. The less in snapd, the less notifications you will get.

As of this writing, I only have one snap package installed, as there is no aptitude variant. I never see update notifications or forced upgrades. There was an aptitude update notification, that I could easily ignore with no consequence for any amount of time. I noticed that python3 is included, and since I use and write in python, I would only benefit from having the latest stable version for testing, if nothing else.

Of course this issue resides mostly in opinion and irritation, so these may not be the resolutions you want to hear....but installing aptitude variants of those applications you can and will cut down on the amount of notifications you receive and the amount of times you need to update your system. By reducing the number of applications managed by snapd, you will also receive less notifications and "forced updates" from that manager.

Take this suggestion as you will, but if you remain with snapd, expect to be bothered and forced to update more often than if you were to switch to flatpak or aptitude for the majority of those applications.

1 Like

Thanks a bunch, @zenzen . It worked for me.
Updates are disabled and there are no more notifications.

@RKG456

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.