Some small OS suggestions from long time windows user

1 - Add an “all applications” to the start menu (not sure what else to call it), I understand the categories is a long standing part of Linux but for those coming from Windows not having a simple list of all apps is like missing an arm, its a memory muscle thing.

2 - When adding a shortcut to the desktop it does not auto align them by default and they appear on top of each other, have it so they line up automatically.

3 - Under other locations would it be possible to group NFS network shares under a Linux Network category similar to the Windows Network category for SMB, would make it easier picking them out when you have a number of servers and shares to pick from.

Hi Taxman and welcome to the forum.

1. I appreciate a menu option with all applications would be ideal - you could always install Gnomenu extension which I think has that option in terms of layouts. As an interim option you could use ‘Main Menu’ and create a new Menu heading - All applications and then add the apps one-by-one in alphabetical order.
  2. Yes that is an issue I have experienced too in this version of Zorin. KDE (Plasma) desktop is different though:

1. Is the screenshot similar to what you were after (left monitor)?

There is the ‘Alphabetical’ option in the Tiled Menu on Plasma:

My experience (Core desktop) is that you can get them to align horizontally but not vertically. Annoying when inserting an external drive and icon for that messes the others up.
Size of shortcuts was an issue before (min size large for laptop), but is now a bit better.

I would strongly disagree. It's not 1 to 1 windows yes and that's not a bad thing. I would actually point out that having things in categories is much easier to understand for beginners since they don't alsways know the function of a software by it's name.

I somewhat agree with this one. I actually had shortcuts disappear after changing the orientation of my two screen and hat to get them back using Strg+A and then dragging one shortcut that I placed on a visibile space to get them back.

I think this is just a nitpicky complaint because if you are that advanced that you know how to use/set-up NFS, then you should clearly be able to get over this little thing.

Zorin is not just 1 to 1 Windows and that's not a bad thing. Windows is 1 to 1 Windows so there is an option if you think Zorin not having everything exacly like Windows is just the biggest catastrophe in human history. (no offense)

This is an OS made for many and not just for you so there will always be the most useful design decisions and features for the target audience which doesn't consist of just you.

1 Like

I really like this post because it drives home a point we must all always remember: Zorin may help the transition, but it cannot be 1 to 1 windows and more importantly, should not be.
The Linux Definition of free must also always be remembered: Free software is software that experiences Freedom from ownership and restrictive control.

If it gets to the point that Linux Distros are Windows Clones except that a user need not pay for them, something has failed.

I think this is a bug, actually. When I create shortcuts on my desktop, they do not stack on top of eachother. They align vertically and when a row is filled, it starts a new column horizontally to the first and aligns vertically again. May need to start a new thread in General Help to address fixing this.

I can see both sides to this. Taxman and Cederick each make strong and valid points. I have learned in life that when two people fight over an opinion, both are wrong (because both must choose to fight) and when two people make strong points that they disagree over, then both are right.
In Linux, there is a lot of diversity in the App Menu design, function and layout. I have tested many of them. Many of them do what Taxman suggests.
Cederick makes a good point that having the Categories helps a lot and it still helps me to this day.
If a user prefers, they can toggle the Main Menu extension on Gnome which drops an alphabetical order list of All Programs.
For a new user migrating from the other OS to feel lost right at the App menu is not a great start. But that is why we and the forum are here: To catch anyone who stumbles and provide guidance and provide learning.
The Majority of us do not want Windows On Linux.
The majority of migrants from Windows have a learning curve.

Taxman, thanks for the great suggestions. Keep 'em coming.:slight_smile:

1 Like