(Somewhat) Slow boot and app load

Hi there (sorry for my language in advance)!
I got recommended ZorinOS by a friend and after checking it out, and looking at all the available options, I bought a new laptop (MSI Thin 15 B12UC-1839xES) and set up a windows dual boot (it was my first time, so I could have done something wrong, but I dont believe so). I had a few problems with Nvidia drivers but I managed to resolve them following [Nvidia drivers not working on 17.1 or 17.2 - #10 by Ponce-De-Leon](https://this forum article)

My problem is that my machine takes like a full minute to boot up, it isnt much, but I believe it should be a lot less given my specs. Additionally, every single program (even the default Configuration) takes anywhere from 5 to 15 seconds to open and another 5 to fully load up, again, nothing very concerning, but given that is a new laptop, its a bit unsettling.

I have disabled Secure Boot, Fast Boot, and Fast Startup from windows, and I have switched the window mode for better Nvidia performance, and still no luck.
Here is the boot time breakdown:

Thank you in advance, Im loving everything (except this) from ZorinOS so far, and I look forward to making it my only system in a future.

Given your SSD and your specs, I will confirm with you that both the Boot speed and App Launch speed are very unusually lengthy.

Your analyze blame shows that system init is not the culprit, therefore your Desktop is.
Others will join the thread to make suggests including reinstalling the desktop, checking Nvidia against Wayland, changing Nivida drivers and maybe some others.
These are good suggestions and worth trying. I would reserve if this install is that new, I would just fresh wipe and reinstall the O.S.

dev-loop-devices is probably snap apps you have installed.
Please give us the output of:

snap list

Here there are:

I think I just downloaded the Unity editor from the Software app

You can try, if you up for it, uninstall unity and then remove snapd to see if it improve the bootup speed;

sudo apt remove --purge snapd

Reboot

Did it + got a clean install!
Now the apps open instantly (when on performance mode) and the boot time screen looks like this:

Also, I checked and it took around 25 seconds to get to the login screen, and another 12 to boot up the desktop. Looking a lot better!

2 Likes