Sound Bug - Core 15.2 / 15.3

After reading another thread about no startup sounds, I decided to adjust my own sound settings, the result is that I have lost the login sound which was working perfectly and the “Default” setting under “Choose an alert sound” has now become the “Drip” sound. I ran a “Live” copy of Core 15.2 on my computer and got the same result. If you work your way down the list of “Alert Sounds” and then back to the top of the list, the “Default” has changed to the “Drip”, so I now have two drip noises instead of one.

Could the developers check to see if they get the same result, thanks.

Just checked the Zorin sound folder and the ogg files still work okay.

login-sound

Startup Applications also shows that startup/login sound is enabled.

I’ve called up the Zorini Plumbers from Italy:

Plumbers

“I gocciolamenti sono la nostra specialità!”

1 Like

I have installed “Gnome Tweaks” and used the “Reset to defaults” option, but the problem remains. Not sure if there is something I could do via the terminal.

Have you tried disabling startup sound and re-enabling but do it between re-boots?
Apologies for the joke about Italian Plumbers - I actually did a search for Plumbers’ vans and an Italian Plumber actually has that vehicle! :wink:

Yes, tried that and logging in/out etc, but no change.

I've just downloaded the official release Zorin the 15.3 news - #15 by AZorin but this too exhibits the same problems.

When logged in, run startup-applications, then edit 'Startup Sound' and in the command window it should read like this:

/usr/bin/canberra-gtk-play --id="desktop-login" --description="GNOME Login"

I looked in Computer | usr | bin | and the canberra bit is not a directory but some sort of command. Now the question is, where is "desktop-login" located!

I know where the sound file is, if that is what you are referring to.

The login sound is just a casualty of the main problem which is a misconfiguration of the system sounds, once that is fixed by the developers the login sound should return.

Solved it!

Create a new startup application and call it "Login sound"
In Command window enter:

paplay /usr/share/sounds/zorin/stereo/desktop-login.ogg

Comment: Play sound when login.

[Acknowledgement to: How to Enable Login Sound in Ubuntu – Better Tech Tips - who deserves full credit!]

Log out and back in again and it is back! Or present if you never had it!

You could of course change it for something more fun:

Second one was the login sound, last one log-out sound which I managed in Cinammon a long time back.

2 Likes

Thanks, I now have a login sound working!

Now I need to create a new topic aimed at the developers and see what their response is.

If you want to give the login sound I gave the video link to the sound file can be downloaded here:
https://zoringroup.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=13798&hilit=+sounds#p60453

and if you install Cinnamon - how to change / activate login/logout sounds:

https://zoringroup.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=14163&hilit=+logout+sound#p62300

Don’t know if this is still present in current Cinnamon?