Sound is skipping when connected to external output

I recently installed Zorin OS (Pro version) on my laptop. The audio works fine when I am using the internal audio output of the laptop. However, the sound randomly skips when I connect an external audio output device.

The audio device is a Logitech stereo speaker which is connected to my external monitor which is then connected to my laptop using an HDMI cable.

Previously I had a dual boot setup between Windows and Zorin OS and never faced such a problem. I recently removed both OS and did a clean installation of only Zorin and started facing this problem.

Sound problems where a HDMI cable is involved is reported here quite regularly. Initially you should try a different HDMI cable or even reversing a HDMI cable, as some are directional.
Does the same problem occur when you do a "Try Zorin" from the Zorin installation USB?

1 Like

I connected the speakers directly to the laptop and it works fine. Seems like the HDMI cable is the problem. I will check if replacing it helps. Thanks for the tip! :smiley:

1 Like

Gday @ahnaf , Welcome to the community!

As you have just had a fresh Install, can i also suggest, with the external monitor connected & turned on,
Then Open "Software Updater" , click "settings" & then open the "Additional Drivers" TAB & see if you have any further drivers that may suit you, if needed select the driver & follow the prompts, Then run the main update.

or
Via terminal

sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade
reboot

Try again, if this doesn't help please show us the output of these:

sudo lshw -C display

sudo lshw -C multimedia

Can you also tell us which Edition of Zorin OS your using, Pro Core or Pro Lite.?
Hope this helps.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.