Sound not working: Sunrise Point-LP HD Audio Card in Toshiba Protege

That gives the "cannot access, no such file or directory" response...

Sorry:

sudo ls /etc/modprode.d

Same response...
Screenshot from 2023-12-22 03-37-08

oh wow... I usually always catch my typoes when I create a terminal command in a post.

I am out of form. It is supposed to be modprobe

sudo ls /etc/modprobe.d

I did wonder (for too shorter moment obviously... :slight_smile: ) was...

Quick question... Your terminal shows zorin@zorin. Did you install Zorin OS on your machine but name the computer zorin or are you running on the LiveUSB?

Yes running LiveUSB as said in the third message.

I actually did not pick up on this when I saw it...
The LiveUSB is a demo and contains generic drivers. While it will work on most hardware, it may not be applicable to all systems. Some of the steps we were about to do will require a Reboot in order to take effect - and a reboot on the LiveUSB will undo the previous steps.

I was hoping to get the hardware running/tested without a full install so that don't potentially kill the windoze if that needs to stay onboard. Guess could shrink drive, install and test further/resolve...

I did some looking around just to see if there was a one step solution or test we could try.
The one recurring solution I kept seeing was that the BIOS Firmware needs to be updated.
Can you check for your manufacturer make and model if there is a BIOS firmware update for your machine?
If so, since you still have Windows OS installed, you can just use Windows to run the .exe file provided by the manufacturers webpage.

With that done (if it needs doing), try testing the LiveUSB of Zorin OS...

1 Like

I have just installed as dual boot now, but will look up that bios firmware update too.

1 Like

It is after 2am here my time, so I will retire for the night.
Please check into the BIOS Firmware in the meantime.

Much appreciate all the assistance, have a good rest. Yes looks like there are some Bios updates, including for audio.

The Xmas eve reply... :slight_smile: Updated bios, and the Realtek drivers but think that was more for within Win11. Restart under Zorin and no change.

And this is under dual boot with Zorin OS installed?

Correct. Dual boot, updated bios via windows, booted into Zorin and no change. But can proceed with other commands, will visit those above and give the outputs.

Installed pavucontrol, def output through the laptop speakers.

Update complete (nothing new on Z17)

Modprobe output attached...

1 Like

Please be sure to fully shutdown Windows OS before booting into Zorin OS.
Windows OS can Hibernate instead of shutting down (In order to give the appearance of booting up fast) retaining control over some hardware.

When I looked into this issue earlier; it looked like quite a few people had issues with Sunrise Point audio hardware - so we will likely need to continue troubleshooting.
I will be away for most of the day today.

1 Like

Whilst a different notebook, same chipset issues. Wonder if @Michel 's solution would work for you?

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.