Speaker and microphone not detected

Because of this?

1 Like

Yes I had to shutdown the computer, open it, remove the battery, put it in charge so I can power it on, power it on, type a command, shutdown it, put the battery back to remove the Write Protection of the Chromebook.
But that's not all ! I had also to launch a script of https://mrchromebox.tech/ for installing SeaBIOS instead of the Chromebook's BIOS that could only boot on ChromeOS :rofl:.

Not everyone has knowledge of Chromebook's,, Myself being one,, & as you see you have ONE main website that offers help with chromebooks ( Mr chromebox ) ,,,

What is the model/brand of this chromebook?

1 Like

Acer Chromebook 314

Ty ,
Did you follow an above suggestion to follow this link,?

Dont just click the down arrow, please click the link & go through the instructions.

Let us know how you go.

1 Like

Hi :slight_smile:
I followed that : [HOW TO] Fix audio not working
and Chromebook "no sound" fix for Ubuntu · GitHub and both didn't worked unfortunately

Sorry for the delay as my internet is very poor at this moment.
Ok can you try running these commands.

sudo ubuntu-drivers autoinstall

sudo apt install ubuntu-restricted-extras

reboot

Then retry you sound,

Are you able to open pulseaudio? or Alsamixer?

Note: as you have more knowledge than myself with chromebook/BIOS,, Please visit Mr chromeBox
& check if coreBIOS is more suited than seaBIOS?
I still think you may need to get a 4-8g usb stick to preform the installation,

1 Like

Unfortunately it didn't work for me : pulseaudio still says the audio output is dummy.
I don't think the BIOS is the problem because the sound worked on many others distro.

Please show us the output from this command.

sudo dmesg | grep audio

If using the DA7219 audio chip, Please try looking on Acer website for audio drivers to suit.

1 Like

Here is the result of :

[   12.789756] sof-audio-pci-intel-apl 0000:00:0e.0: DSP detected with PCI class/subclass/prog-if info 0x040100
[   12.790151] sof-audio-pci-intel-apl 0000:00:0e.0: DSP detected with PCI class/subclass/prog-if 0x040100
[   12.790292] sof-audio-pci-intel-apl 0000:00:0e.0: bound 0000:00:02.0 (ops i915_audio_component_bind_ops [i915])
[   12.796998] sof-audio-pci-intel-apl 0000:00:0e.0: use msi interrupt mode
[   12.818163] sof-audio-pci-intel-apl 0000:00:0e.0: hda codecs found, mask 4
[   12.818958] sof-audio-pci-intel-apl 0000:00:0e.0: Direct firmware load for intel/sof/community/sof-glk.ri failed with error -2
[   12.818965] sof-audio-pci-intel-apl 0000:00:0e.0: error: sof firmware file is missing, you might need to
[   12.818970] sof-audio-pci-intel-apl 0000:00:0e.0:        download it from https://github.com/thesofproject/sof-bin/
[   12.818972] sof-audio-pci-intel-apl 0000:00:0e.0: error: failed to load DSP firmware -2
[   12.831038] sof-audio-pci-intel-apl 0000:00:0e.0: error: sof_probe_work failed err: -2

There is no driver for my Chromebook as I understood :

1 Like

Did you check the link?

2 Likes

Ahhhhh thanks I didn't see that :slight_smile:

1 Like

Unexpected, maybe. You won't see that in a Windows error report. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

IT WORKED ! Thanks you two guys !
Linux is awesome

2 Likes

The micro still doesn't work but it's already awesome that the sound works :slight_smile:

Double check alsamixer when you get a chance. It is notorious that changing the drivers reverts alsa to default settings.

1 Like

That's good advice.
Once you have made setting changes in alsamixer make sure they are saved using:

sudo alsactl store

1 Like

Hi :slight_smile: it doesn't seem working.
The micro input is a monitor, is it normal ?

Does this show as Front Microphone in Alsa?
In the Input tab on sound settings, does it show as provided by your Graphics Card?

1 Like

Sorry to respond now.
The input device is the following :