Audio coming from speakers (digital audio) dies out without warning at seemingly random times and I have not found a way to bring it back without restarting. Maybe it might be due to pulseaudio getting confused by the multiple sources?
Issue does not happen in Windows installed in a separate partition. The speakers work without any problems.
Issue also happens in Fedora 37 installed in a separate partition. In that case the instance is using pipewire-pulseaudio, and the only way to bring back audio was to turn off the audio source and turn it back on in sound settings. This does not work in Zorin.
Connecting speakers to motherboard audio (again digital) instead of sound card does not fix the issue. Connecting 3.5mm headphones to the sound card works without any problems. This is currently my backup until I find a solution. (edit: this also has failed after a few hours)
Pavucontrol shows audio is being outputted (the sound line moves when audio is played).
Restarting pulseaudio with systemctl --user restart pulseaudio does not change anything.
Had the issue happen with headphones as well unfortunately. After happening for the first time it now happens every few minutes.
However I've also found that going to the Configuration tab in pavucontrol and changing the HDA Creative profile to something other than Analog Stereo Output and then back temporarily brings back the audio for the headphones (digital stereo for the speakers of course). So at least I don't have to reboot.
In my case even my Creative Labs driver was listed as Intel, so a blanket blacklist on Intel would also get rid of it as well. So I had to do something a little differently.
In my /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf file I added
options snd_hda_intel enable=0,0,1,0
Using the device list from the results of inxi -A this seems to have disabled all Intel audio devices other than the Creative Labs driver one. After restarting I do not see any devices other than "HDA Creative" and "USB Audio".
Pavucontrol also displayed a few "speech-dispatcher" programs in the playback tab that caused some warbling when set to the soundcard output device, so I removed them as well with
sudo apt-get remove speech-dispatcher
Due to the nature of my problem I cannot be sure if this fixed it yet. I've had no issues for the past few hours so I'm optimistic.
Well not even 5 minutes after I made this post the issue repeated. The fallback method did not work as well as HDA Creative Digital Stereo (IEC958) was chosen as the fallback at the time. As far as Pavucontrol is concerned nothing is wrong. It still thinks sound is coming out.
Press CTL + ALT + T to open up a terminal then run sudo apt install firmware-sof-signed or sudo apt install sof-firmware the package can be under a different name on different distributions on arch it was just sof-firmware I'm unsure on the package name on Zorin