Standard settings for easy access in Files

-Nautilus Admin (sudo apt-get install nautilus-admin)
-Executable text files - >set to "Run them" or "Ask what to do"

For Zorin 16, could these options be preset OotB? If I am a regular user I wont be doing this stuff anyway so probably nor harm done (it still requires psw) but the moment you want to mess around with stuff this barrier becomes annoying for a new user (and I quote "What a toy, can't even run stuff without messing it up, Windows 4ever s#ckers!").
The time it takes to work through the terminal (cd x ls cd x ls cd x ls - did I spell that right bla bla bla) is unpaid time for me. GUIs exists for a reason :smiley:

I know exactly what you are talking about. I used Windows for at least 25 years, so you get used to how it is, and thats what you expect. You clearly want Linux to be the same, when it comes to ease of use, out of the box.

Linux has never really been that way though. Infact, over 10-years ago, Linux wasn't even friendly at all for the home user! But thankfully, Linux has gotten better, and most common distro's, are easier to use since, such as Zorin.

The requiring of password for common software installations and removals, is part of Linux's higher level of security, which you don't get on Windows. Windows chooses what you are going to do with your OS, and you have no control.

Infact, ever since Windows10 was a thing, I've heard countless reports of people angry, that Windows decided to update and restart itself, while they were working on an important document, and lost all the work.

Linux does not do this BTW. In Linux, you tell your OS what you want it to do, you tell it when to install updates, you tell it when to restart. And as far as terminal is concerned, I can also understand why that might be a bit daunting.

But you are also showing your age believe it or not, cause I remember in the 80's and early 90's, DOS was heavily used back in the days with Windows as well, and if you lived back then, you'd remember that.

And if you don't know what DOS is, well, strap your seat belts, cause guess what, its like Jonna and the whale, your going in. DOS is terminal, so you got to know the codes to make things happen.

So ya, while the terminal isn't really used in Windows anymore per say, it is in Linux, its a powerful tool once you know how to use it. I share your feelings though if you don't get the code exactly right, it throws up error.

So yes, I know it can be a pain. But like anything new, its a learning experience. And when it comes to the pure awesomeness of Linux, learning it is worth the time. So anyways, thats my take as a Linux user for 6-years now.

I remember too well the DOS-age although it was mostly the constant struggle to find the right IRQ:s to get games running. It was so nice to have a GUI when W 3.1 came along :slight_smile: Still, if I need a ping I go straight for the CMD.
I know the power of the terminal is a very strong case for Linux but for crossover users it seems more like an excuse not to fix stuff that should be obvious (or worse, come to the conclusion that it is unfixable). And I'm tired of defending GNU/Linux, just give up and fix it :smiley:
It's like you say with DOS, it's still there. Just because you make it easy on some user (the majority of them) doesn't mean you'll take away the tool for the ones who need it or want to use it.
Linux is maturing and why not make it 95-ish% accessible through the GUI as with Windows? If people expect it - it's a standard, go with the flow :slight_smile: :grin: