Start From Where I Left Off

How to start Zorin from where I left off before the shutdown? Is possible to do that?

3 Likes

Yes, hibernation is most certainly a feature in Zorin OS. You might have to adjust some settings to get it setup right for your use case, but it is indeed a thing. Many Zorin OS users on here use it.

Ok. I'll have a look at it.

Does this mean my laptop should always be plugged in when in hibernation?

Yes it should, hibernation doesn't mean that the laptop will draw 0 power. It will consume much less power in hibernation yes, but it draws a small amount off the battery. Depending on the age of the battery, is how long the laptop will last wresting in hibernation. My recommendation is to keep the laptop plugged in, the greatest assurance that is.

Ok. Thanks.

A quick question: Is is safe to always use my laptop plugged in? Would that degrade battery life?

Sorry if I "should" ask questions here that are only related to Zorin OS.

Depends on the year of your notebook, is your machine from 2020 - 2021? If you answered yes to that question, your notebook BIOS has encoding to protect the battery and allow the battery to rest at 90% sometimes, instead of sitting at 100%, this is what my notebook does at times.

If your notebook is older then 2020, then it probably doesn't have that BIOS encoding, and its best to unplug it when not in use. I gotta tell ya, life is so much easier when I don't have to worry about my notebook battery anymore.

My old computer was from 2012, and let me tell you, that Acer couldn't hold a charge if its life depended on it during a power outage. As soon as the power went out, the laptop was dead. I know, sucks right?

But my MSI machine is like, nope, your going to hang for awhile at 90% while plugged in for awhile, thats why we save your battery life. Experts say that if you charge your battery to 90%, instead of 100%, that drastically improves battery life.

I didn't know that until I learned more about lithium batteries. Gosh, you gotta love technology. :slightly_smiling_face:

I bought mine in 2015.

That's true.

1 Like

Marked solution. 160

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.