Starting Installation process from within Windows

Oh my gosh, you have one of those too! Am I literally the only one who owns a external optical drive, and have no skin on it? What in the world have I been doing with my life? :scream:

1 Like

I can tell you where I got that Hello Kitty skin if you want to :heart_eyes_cat:

3 Likes

I went the who hog, no expense spare, and paid a whole £1 extra for a slide off cover and interchangeable pictures. 8 of them. I'm seriously spoiled for choice lol. (And that's the first time since buying that I've changed the picture). :rofl:

2 Likes

I know only Q4os can do that, I used it before I switched to Zorin and threw Windows through the Shredder. this distro could be installed from within Windows.

Worked quite easy on my HP laptop but gave some troubles on my Lenovo.

2 Likes

I just remembered that Zorin 16 Pro is 5,6GB in size.
It will not fit in a regular DVD (4,7GB max).

There are dvd's with double layer, I believe these are 8,5GB.

1 Like

Yes, I know.
But they are not that cheap (by a frugal housewife, me).

2 Likes

Out of curiosity, do these laptops come with a recovery partition, or is recovery made via a pen drive?

Computers - Zorin

It will on a dual layer dvd :wink:. But for the dual layer dvd price i would buy for the same price a 128gb usb stick

See my posting above:

2 Likes

There was a way to try/use Ubuntu that installed inside the Windows partition named Wubi , but it is no longer officially supported. The project is still alive, but is entirely use at your own risk and won't install Zorin.

2 Likes

Thank you, I'll have a look.

1 Like

If it fails just uninstall it just like any other Windows program. Good luck I have not tried Wubi since it was officially supported.

1 Like

The danger with Wubi is that it can shorten the life of the drive and says so as much in warning the user.

There was one OS that I tried a long time ago that shipped with VM Player but can't remember which distro.

1 Like

This, I assume, would mean SSD drives, not HDD. I'm going to read about WUBI this afternoon. It's shopping day, Christmas decorations etc, and I'm the Grinch who sits in the car whilst the wife and daughter crack on with things.

Most people who were using Wubi at the height of its popularity had mechanical drives, but main thing I remember is the installations were not as responsive as a bare metal installation. I have not followed this project since Canonical shelved it when Win 8 was released and had never tried it with an ssd. use at your own risk

Exactly my experience.
I quickly went for the bare-metal installation of Ubuntu after this.
My impression was that it is a good way to experience Linux but not for the daily use.

1 Like

Me too , I went from Ubuntu 9.10 to bare metal with 10.04, but tried new releases for 6 months at time on my Win 7 laptop with Wubi. That computer still runs well with no hdd issues.

1 Like

Since I am a tinkering lady, I replaced HDDs in the all family laptops with SSDs. I think replacing HDD with SSD is the most efficient way to speed up those old laptops. The extracted HDDs are now serving a roll of backup drives with these gismo. So, nothing is wasted :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.