[Steam Installation] | Fatal Error:Steam needs to be online to update

Hi there,

Tried installing Steam via the software center but during a failure appears (see picture below):

I've tried editing the /etc/Host file, adding steam to the firewall exception but the problem remains in all cases.

Support would be greatly appreciated since id like to start gaming asap via proton :slight_smile:

Cheers

2 Likes

How did you install Steam, is it a flatpak or Snap?

2 Likes

1 Like

It's a Flatpak.

Recommend you remove it from Software and then open terminal and run

sudo apt install steam

3 Likes

@Aravisian Will the sandboxing of Flatpak cause the fps or overall gaming performance to be worse?

Removed and installed with

sudo apt install steam

but get the same error message:

2 Likes

In your home directory, check if you have ~/.steam and / or ~/.local/share/Steam/ Folders. If you do, delete them, log out and in, then try launching Steam.

3 Likes

Will try asap though will be in some hours (or minutes hopefully!) since i have some processes running currently (cant log out!). Will keep you posted when done!

Cheers! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This is a strange issue that I didn't actually have with Steam, I am really hoping that we can help you get this issue resolved. Since Aravisian is ahead of this thing, he has the rains.

Steam should automatically detect an internet connection. And sometimes when you make changes with Steam, like after installing a game for example, restarting can fix game issues too.

If you can get Steam running, I'd gladly help you with how to get games to install and run via Steamplay PROTON.

2 Likes

Reinstall nvidia driver. It sound weird but this happend to me as well.

1 Like

sudo apt reinstall nvidia-driver-470

1 Like

Hi gents forgot to mention that i have a Radeon HD9750.. After trying to install in parallel other software i encountered error messages linked to connectivity.. I think the root cause might be that i setup a proxy earlier today.

I deactivated it and tried again to do installations but the connectivity errors remain.. must i:

• deactivate and reboot?
  • or deactivate and change something else?
  • or keep active and change something else?

Cheers,

1 Like

OK, you need to setup settings in Steam in order for connecting through proxy's, until you do that, Steam will not see an internet connection. I wasn't aware that you were running through proxy either, nor the GPU you were using.

You can check real quick to be sure its the proxy by deactivating the proxy and rebooting. If Steam has a net connection, then you obviously know why. Then you will have to make sure you add your proxy settings to Steam.

Here's a guide to show you how to setup Steam on a proxy network.

2 Likes

Got this error message when i launch steam via proxychains although i input in /etc/proxychains.conf the current proxy address used.

the output message is:

[proxychains] preloading /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libproxychains.so.4
error: no valid proxy found in config

Is the error referring to another file?

When i open /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libproxychains.so.4 i can only see weird data (unreadable).. any idea what to do?

Cheers

1 Like

I changed the category of this thread to General help, since it is not a Tutorial as it was originally categorized.

3 Likes

Yes... this could have been helpful information from the get-go...

2 Likes

Added into file .bashrc

export LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libproxychains.so.3
export LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libproxychains.so.4

and in terminal was only able to launch via:
proxychains3 steam

but same error appears

Any other suggestions?

Cheers

1 Like

Well gents, deactivated the proxy and just installed a vpn... Was able to install steam without a problem :slight_smile:

Cheers

2 Likes

Glad you solved it!

In the future however, we would super appreciate it, that whenever you have a computer problem, that you give us as much information as possible. Knowing that you were running through Proxy did matter greatly, as that was the cause of your issue in the end.

Also, if you could please, update your profile to reflect which OS version you are using. Again, its all about that info. There will be a dropdown box where you can select your OS your using there.

Strange, my post on that was pinned by Harvey, but it appears to be missing now.

1 Like

Moved to General Help for visibility and re-pinned for 3 months