Steam won't launch anymore on Zorin OS 16 Core

Lets see if the driver is in use:

lsmod | grep nouveau

The driver is fine it seems. Then the problem lies with Steam itself.
Backup your games (you find them in /home/username/.steam/steam/steamapps/common )
and lets remove Steam completely and make a clean install.

sudo apt remove --purge steam

then delete .steam folder in your home directory.

the . infront of the name means it's hidden. You can see hidden files if you set the file browser to do so.

1 Like

I'm sorry I have to be gone for a few minutes, I hope you can still help me later or tomorrow. In the meantime, thank you very much for your help!

My pleasure. Perhaps @Aravisian knows what's going on here?

I would recommend using the 5.8 kernel given the age of that GPU along with the 340 Nvidia Driver:
First, install Install Nvidia 340

sudo apt install nvidia-340

Switch to 340 in Software & Updates > Additional Drivers tab.
Then install kernel (since both need a reboot after)

sudo apt install linux-headers-5.8.0-63-generic linux-modules-5.8.0-63-generic linux-modules-extra-5.8.0-63-generic linux-image-5.8.0-63-generic

Boot into the 5.8 using the Grub Menu > Advanced Options for Zorin

Ensure you are on 5.8 kernel with

uname -r

Test Steam....

Thanks, I will try tomorrow :slight_smile:

But if one day I have a newer graphical card, what will I have to do?
Go back to a more recent kernel?

Should I use this method to install the driver or the Software & Updates > Additional Drivers tab method?

Also, do you share the Storm's opinion about source choice, and do you recommend too to choose Zorin source instead of Flakpak for an old PC?

Thanks a lot

Yes, update the kernel and run

sudo ubuntu-drivers install

Yes. Absolutely.

Hi :slight_smile:

Ok, thanks :slight_smile:

Okay, but I'm surprised that Flatpak was the default choice when I installed Kodi. I didn't change the source. It could be a good thing that the recommended source (Zorin) will be the default choice for beginners like me.

I tried it one time (my first Zorin install) on another old PC and I had issues, then I tried Zorin Core, and everything was perfect :slight_smile: .

So I tried to reinstall the nvidia driver with the @Aravisian Aravisian method but there is an error at the first step, I'm not sure I should continue? :

EDIT: after that, settings won't open anymore and steam not at all. I rebooted and I was back on screen oh-no-something-has-gone-wrong.
I resolved the issue again with the same fix:

• Esc on boot: grub menu

• Advanced options

• Recovery mode (5.15.0-83. There is also boot options for 5.15.0-78)

• Enable networking

• Root (go to prompt)

• Ok maintenance

• apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

• apt-get clean && sudo apt-get autoremove

• apt-get remove nvidia-340

• Reboot

So, the "oh-no-something-has-gone-wrong" issue is solved again...

Then, I uninstalled Steam from Software app:
3 apps were marked as "installed":
Steam:
Steam installer:
and Steam-devices:

I deleted all of them from "Software".

Then, I resinstalled only "Steam Installer" (like recommended in the Zorin Play games guide).

I tried to launch Steam, same issue, then I tried again: it launch and all my games and settings are still here!

If it can be useful, this is Steam information screen now it works:

If it continues to work, I think I prefer to stay like that, not try to install again nvidia-340 and keep the actual kernel. I think I can live without VDPAU in Kodi for the moment, and I don't know if the nvidia driver would be better for games in Steam compared to the xorg one.

Also, on my oh-no-something-has-gone-wrong-after-installing-nvidia-34-driver topic , @swarfendor437 recommend me to stick with the Open Source nouveau driver:

Because it is an old card - you are better sticking with the Open Source nouveau driver that is part of the Linux kernel. Personally I have had no end of trouble using nVidia dedicated drivers when I used Zorin as my daily go to. The other issue is security as nVidia uses proprietary drivers.

What do you think ?

The Open Source driver is Nouveau, so when you uninstall Nvidia driver it fall back to nouveau.

I seeing more people have a problem with Steam this days.

Hi Storm :slight_smile:

So, Nouveau = OpenSoucre driver = the line "xorg server" in additional drivers?

Aye. But most people with modern graphic cards tend to choose Nvidia's driver as they perform better on gaming.

And do you think that with an old card like my 8600 GS there could be a big difference between the nvidia driver and the Nouveau? On this PC I only play small games (Speed ​​runners, Horizon chaze, Towerfall...).

Otherwise, I don't think I'm going to touch anything anymore since it works, and maybe I'll find a newer little card one day...

It galls me, but I think that this is your answer.
I have an Nvidia 3060 and I use the Nvidia driver.

But I will openly and plainly state that I think Nvidia needs to check its drivers team.
The 470, 515, 535 drivers have been absolute headaches. And these are the drivers supplied directly from Nvidia.

It is in their wallets interest to not be supportive of older cards when they would very much prefer that you rush out and buy their latest product, again.
If they had their way, we would have to buy a new Nvidia card at every release and every release would come with unique new (required) drivers.
Fortunately, they do not get their way on this.

1 Like

In corporation I taken observation. Last time they produce many good gpu graphic cards what not anymore support. The same with cpu processors.
Then they starting creating new gpu and cpu to selling people with "better specifications", but they changed a little software where you cannot used them with new updates a operating systems or with some application example in mobile world.
I don't remember what is first but someone told me first they creating a software and then creating a hardware what working with them components.
So that conclusion Windows 7 could be still working and working but not working some things because security. This all is big joke. We are in loop - buying new hardware for new operating system. It is faster ? I t is better? No this is still the same.
Here is humoristic a video how it works.

1 Like

You mean Nvidia gall you but you think it is maybe the good solution for me?

In all cases, don't worry, I may be using this card for years to come :wink:

As long as this new little PC made from salvaged parts works for Zorin, Kodi and my little Steam games, I don't touch anything, I enjoy :slight_smile:

For Steam, I notice that sometimes it doesn't launch the first time: I hear the sound of the launch video but I don't see anything at all (different from the original problem), I restart a second time and Steam launches correctly. I can live with this if it doesn't get worse :crossed_fingers:.

Thanks a lot anyway :slight_smile:

Unfortunately, today the problem returned, Steam no longer launches, even after several attempts :frowning:

I tried to install the flatpak version (i didn't uninstalled the deb version before, I don't know if I can have the same software installed from different sources at the same time, but I tried :wink: ):

So I tried to launch the Steam flatpak version: same issue :frowning: .

Then I tried to launch the deb version; it launched?!

Now that I'm a terminal expert ;), I launched both Steam to learn more:

steam

(It launched!)

I close Steam...

flatpak run com.valvesoftware.Steam

(It crash)
(thanks Storm for the command :wink: )

So, Steam deb works again, but for how long...

Then I uninstalled the Flatpak version, and Steam deb (Zorin source) is still working..., even after I reboot my PC.

If I take stock, I have these solutions:

1. Fix Steam not launching randomly
  2. Find a small used AMD card a little older than my 8600 GS
  3. Succeed in installing the Nvidia driver, which involves installing an older kernel, which scares me a little...

But for these last 3 solutions, is the problem really linked to my graphics card and/or the driver? :

Hi,

Last night, Steam didn't want to launch again :frowning:

I deleted Steam installer from Softwares then just reinstalled it: that solved the problem :slight_smile: .

So it's cool to have this rather quick "solution" (I don't lose any settings and games on Steam), while waiting to perhaps find a real lasting solution...

Bye

Hi,

Here I am again a few weeks later. From time to time I still have Steam which no longer wants to start and I solve the problem each time by uninstalling it and then reinstalling it from Softwares.

If you have an idea of ​​the problem, I'm interested, if not, would it be possible to make this repair tip even simpler, like a script that would automatically launch the uninstallation and reinstallation of Steam without having to go through Software and wait between uninstallation and reinstallation?

Thanks