Stuck on boot screen when using Dynamic Graphics

Hi,

I've been using zorin for a while now and its all worked fine. I have a Lenovo legion 5 pro, and when i use the dedicated graphics card (rtx 3070), everything works as expected. However, whenever i change to dynamic graphics in the lenovo boot manager and then attempt to boot zorin, i get stuck on the boot screen. I can provide more info if needed,
Thanks

Hi,

I may be daft, but when you say dynamic graphics do you mean switch to integrated video card?

Well, yes but actually no. Dynamic graphics refers to the device dynamically using the dedicated or integrated graphics card depending on the task.

Ah, okay. Not my expertise.

However you could try upgrading the driver and/or the kernel and see if it helps. Let me know if you don't know how to do it.

Some instructions might be helpful, thanks

Driver for AMD/Intel;

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:oibaf/graphics-drivers
sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade

If that doesn't work try with kernel upgrade to latest LTS;

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:tuxinvader/lts-mainline -y
sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade
sudo apt-get install linux-generic-5.15

This has partially helped. After a reboot, my secondary monitor works but my laptop screen is blank and is not found under the display settings. I'm going to try the kernel upgrade now to see if that helps

I can't seem to get the last command to run while downloading the kernel upgrade, this is the error:

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package linux-generic-5.15
E: Couldn't find any package by glob 'linux-generic-5.15'
E: Couldn't find any package by regex 'linux-generic-5.15'

Checked, they have moved from 5.15 to 5.16.2

sudo apt install linux-generic-5.16

Hmm, after the kernel update my second monitor doesn't work at all, in any graphics mode, and my laptop monitor is called 'unknown display' in the display settings. Can i rollback the upgrade?

Tap esc or tab or left shift key at your motherboard splash screen to pull up the Advanced Options for Zorin in Grub menu; use the arrow keys to select which kernel to boot from.

To your issue;
Are you referring to using the Nvidia-Settings package?

http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/trusty/man1/nvidia-settings.1.html

Not to interrupt the troubleshooting - thought I’d mention, as an aside, that hybrid/dynamic graphics can cause issues in Ubuntu/Zorin. For example, inability to change brightness.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.