Stuck on the install page

New guy here. I created a USB bootable stick, success after 2 days. I started the download and it seems stuck on the install page. Auto log in selected. Fresh install to replace Win 7 and MX Linux. Bars at the bottom scroll endlessly.

We need more info then that in order to help you out.

First what specs does your computer or laptop have ?

Thanks for getting back.
I'm recycling an older Compaq Presario CQ62-214NR
Celeron processor at 2.2 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 250GB storage, 1366x768 display

I flashed a new USB. During booting process a pack error surfaced, /var/log/syslog. No broken packages were listed and the install started to unwind, removing the program. The computer locked down. I don't know to what extent Win7 and MX linux were removed.

I pulled the plug, disconnected the battery and rebooted without the flash drive. Zorin started to load. I'm not sure if I have a clean installation but I've been able to play around and have loaded some software. Google Search comes up instead of Firefox. I don't want Google fingerprints on the resurrected machine.

At this point I need to determine what remnants of Win and MX Linux remain. If I can get some help with these issues I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,
Hat

As far as i understand it's a 2009 model cpu and 32 bit ?

I believe it's 64 bit. Mx Linux is a 64 bit program, as is WIN 7 ?

Windows 7 has 32-bit and 64-bit and for mx linux its the same. Zorin os 16 only comes in 64 bit

Hmmm. I didn't think it could have been 32. I'll dig into it. Zorin 16.2 is running though. It seems a bit slow but then again, it's an old machine.

Would Zorin boot at all if it is a 32 bit bus?

Unless you specifically tried to set up a triple boot system, it's pretty safe to say Zorin OS is the only OS on your system at this point. If a user goes with the defaults, then the installer will repartition the hard drive for itself alone. If you want to be 100% certain, and you're not being asked to choose an operating system when you boot up, then open a terminal and type:

sudo lsblk

Hit enter, then type in your password when prompted. Now, you probably see under "NAME" something like "sda." How many levels are directly under sda (or whatever trio of initials is under NAME)? They should be called things like "sda1," "sda2," etc. If your did a default install, and you have UEFI on your computer (likely for a Windows 7 computer) then you should see four main levels. If you have additional, hidden partitions, then you should have more than four main ones.

As for Google search, Google is the default search engine of Firefox and Zorin OS. It can be changed in the Firefox settings. As far as Google's fingerprints go, you can clear your cache and history after changing the search engine. You can even install something like the DuckDuckGo Privacy Firefox extension. It will change your default search engine to DuckDuckGo and block many (but not all) trackers, including those from Google. If this is unacceptable, then I recommend installing a Firefox fork like Waterfox or Pale Moon, or something like Brave, but for security and privacy, I recommend sticking with Firefox and just changing the search engine.

Good luck.

Thanks for all the help from the group. It's much appreciated. I changed the search engine to DD Go and enabled the privacy extension. I did that on another machine and also have a TOR Browser as an option.

I'm new to terminal and am having problems with syntax. I'll work with tutorials and figure it out. I'm not being asked to choose as OS so your most likely correct with the one system . I made that choice when installing Zorin.

Happy holidays to all and thank you all for being generous with your time and knowledge. I'm sure that I won't be a stranger!

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.