Sudo and admin after first install

Hi,

After some experimenting with Zorin 16 I was convinced and started a complete new and fresh install.

Three questions are bothering me:

1. Why are users after an install not forced to add an user and and an admin account? For me it is the base of a good installation whatever the OS is.
  2. Why are users (non-admin) not automatically added to the sudoers group?
  3. Is it a good idea to add non-admin users to the sudoers group and what is the preferred way to do that?

Regards,
Andre

You never used Kali Linux back in the old days, I see.:wink:
Back then, there was no User Account and all actions were "sudo" actions. Kali has since changed that, much to most of us' chagrin.

The principle is that if you are the only and primary user, then your user is the Admin account. Even as Admin, any actions in root will still require your authentication.
You can create user accounts and limit how much access they can grab in root, from a little to the same as you to None.
Your wording is interesting:

In FOSS and Linux, forcing users to do anything is out of the spirit of FOSS. The user is the one in control and making informed decisions is far preferred over being uninformed and lacking in user control.

I can see no reason that they should be. Why would default be set to automatically give additional user accounts Admin Privileges?
It is up to the user to determine the appropriate privileges on a known-user basis. The Software developer does not know the ages and applicability of your users and it would be highly inappropriate to Take Charge and determine that for you.

This is case-specific.
If you have young children using one account that you do not believe are quite ready yet to handle installing unknown software, then you may wish to limit their installations ability.
Or perhaps this is a Public Computer used in a School or Library - then you want the users to have No Ability to install software.
Or it may be for your spouse, whom you trust and can rely on and you wish them to have full access.

Here is an in-depth guide that should help.

If you have any trouble or something seems unfamiliar and therefor confusing, please ask for clarification.

Lastly; Welcome to Zorin OS.

1 Like

Thanks for responding to my question. Appreciated.
I have been experimenting with a dozen of distro's.
As a result I have noticed that not all distro's are equal on these points. The reason for my question is the fact that I am (as an author for a Dutch amateur pc magazine) writing an article about dual boot Windows / Zorin. The answers I have gotten wil be used to write about the subject in the article.
I often get request from 'friends' who work with Windows as a user with admin rights and manage to 'rebuild' their OS. I always suggest to add an admin and an user to their pc enviroment.
Of course Windows is not equal Linux. Same goes for Linux. Linux is not equal Linux. I hope to make clear to the users why and which type of usermanagement is important.

Thanks again,
regards,
André

There is diversity... For example, Elementary OS. Just because something is Linux, does not mean that it adheres to all the same ideas.
There are a great many distros to choose from. Personally, I think it is less important what distros people choose, than what they choose to do after choosing their distro.

We all have our opinions about what is the "right" way to do something. And sometimes, there really is a right and a wrong way to do something.
Sometimes, there are just opinions.
If not all computers and not all Operating Systems are equal, then one thing they are indicative is would be Our Humanity.
We are not perfect. We are impatient. Filled with judgment and we like to think we know more than we do. We have these pesky things... called expectations. We tend to be less interested in teaching people when it is easier to control them.
When it comes to individual use on computers, it is imperative that we lean toward teaching, not controlling.
Reserve judgment and instead, encourage users to believe in what they are capable of, instead of limiting them believing that they are not capable.

Welke tijdschrift is dit ? ben benieuwd.

SoftwareBus
https://www.compusers.nl/softwarebus/over-ons-blad-softwarebus

Personally, I think the preferred setup, once you become aware that the user that is created first during install is an administrator is that you setup an Administrator account first to be used by all users (in respect of the Admin account Password) and make all users 'Standard Users' and only allow those users you trust not to screw up the machine by installing unofficial repositories, it is an added layer of security. That is why I prefer Devuan which gives you the option to setup a separate root password when installing from the main user. I have had to change myself recently to get a third party app to run but still had some issues so I will be reverting myself back to a standard user (on Devuan).

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.