Swap Memory (Virtual Ram) Problem!

Sad to hear that. Seems JB's rider is a resource hog, or memory leak perhaps?

Now What To DO????

I'm not sure, buy more RAM :sweat_smile:
Perhaps another member would like to share their input on this matter.

1 Like

4GB of RAM is really not enough anymore for any serious work. As you've witnessed first hand, some APPS just use more RAM then you would expect. Take GIMP for example, if I only had 4GB of RAM, I can kiss editing 5K RAW photo's goodbye. And I wouldn't be able to even edit 1080P video let alone 1400P or 4K.

So, I have to agree with Storm, its time to upgrade your RAM. Without knowing more about your computer, I have no way of knowing weather your computer uses desktop RAM, or notebook RAM, it depends on what kind of machine you have.

If you post the model of your computer, I may be able to help you find more RAM for your machine.

1 Like

Hp ProBook 450G

According to Memory Stock, your HP 450 Probook has two RAM slots, and it can accept a maximum of 16GB of RAM.
ProBook 450 G4 Memory Upgrade - HP 450 G4 ProBook Laptop Memory.

This is excellent for you, because it means the RAM isn't soldered to the mobo. Since your notebook comes with 2-slots, it means you can run RAM in dual channel, to achieve the highest level of performance.

https://www.amazon.com/Tech-PC4-17000-Notebook-Computer-AT8G2D4S2133NS8N12V/dp/B07KGPQXDX/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=2BUXG9XNMKADG&keywords=ddr4%2Bpc4-17000%2B2133mhz%2Bsodimm%2B2x8gb&qid=1643625295&refinements=p_n_feature_two_browse-bin%3A16955285011%2Cp_n_feature_four_browse-bin%3A10656894011%2Cp_72%3A1248879011&rnid=1248877011&s=pc&sprefix=ddr4%2Bpc4-17000%2B2133mhz%2Bsodimm%2B2x8gb%2Celectronics%2C103&sr=1-1-spons&smid=A3LKWIQ3PBTNT2&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFHMkRJTFdJTENMVTAmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTAwNjYzODIxQ1Q4U1EyWk1PWVRRJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA2MzMwMzAzOEhXQVpEQ0g0MTlIJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ&th=1

That is a listing for a 2x8GB kit. Amazon has an excellent return policy, if it doesn't work, you can return it. But these RAM chips are getting more rare as time goes on. I was trying to search for other brands that are more well known like Corsair, but they only had a single 16GB stick with a heat spreader that might be too big to fit a thin and lite notebook.

You don't want to run in single channel mode, as its slower. And like I said, a heat spreader is nice for dissipating heat and all. But they typically won't fit in thin and lites. So, I chose RAM sticks without heat spreaders. Hopefully this helps...

Video to show you how to RAM upgrade your notebook model!

1 Like

Great service you provided, @StarTreker :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you Storm!

Truth is, hardware is more my specialty then software. And I find hardware solutions to be easier then software related issues. Its no secret that I struggle greatly with software related issues.

But hardware I can solve, and I always like helping other's with hardware related stuff. If I can help someone out there with that, it brings me satisfaction that I did something good. I just hope that it helps the OP. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

@StarTreker
Got a solution for my HP pavilion touchsmart by any chance? this Lappie seems glued, can hardly be opened, also has only 4 gigs, is 9 years old. Runs Zorin 16 lite and Mint at the moment

There have been many different models of that device. Can you give me your model number?

Do it tomorrow, was busy, thanx !

Hey, @Dixit, why not to try one of those proverbial "Linux black-magic" techs? :mage:
That black-magic tech is called "zram". It can inflate RAM at the expense of CPU (tested personally on Raspberry Pi :slight_smile: )

What it does: zram creates a virtual swapping file in you real RAM and stores swapped data there (before they get swapped to your second swapping destination - your HDD).

But: the data are compressed in realtime by zram (thus the need of some CPU power), and that means it consumes less space in your virtual RAM-based swap file. And it is FAST (when compared to HDD) :sunglasses:

So it is effectively a compressed RAM buffer, acting as a swap device, consuming less RAM than would be really required. Only when this buffer is maxed out, the system starts using the "real" swap on your HDD. It consumes some CPU power to [de]compress stored data; the amount of consumed CPU cycles is based on compression algorithm selected; some algorithms are very light (lz4), others quite demanding (zstd), but those demanding ones get better compress rations, and thus allow more data to be stored to your RAM. No worries, if RPi CPU can handle it, that yours x86-based can definitely too...

I believe this might be a perfect solution for your usecase :grinning:

More info here:

...and how to setup it manually here:

Notes:

1. There is more that one way how to install and enable zram on your system. The above solution is a manual setup, but I like it because I have a good control over what it does and how it behaves in the system.
  2. You might want to set the target higher than the above example, to e.g. 1G at least.
  3. I would think twice before turning off the swap. But if it is left turned on, in order for your system to use zram swap device first, before your real HHD-based swap, zram swap device must have a higher priority set. Just let me know if you decide to try this solution, I will help you further to tweak it properly :wink:
  4. If you test it and do not like it, the whole zram thing can be very easily disabled. So no worries to try this out, there is nothing to lose there, is it?

Marked Solution. 373

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.