System with Nvidia card randomly freezing (and crashing)

Cable connection, excess heat, and hardware failure.
Also slot fitting and insufficient power supply in case of desktop.

2 Likes

I never test anything on my main system as a Long ago learned lesson. For 50 buck US dollars (it's worth all the headaches that could come) you can get a decent machine to "play with" stuff till you learn the ropes... Just a FYI

Edit and if it's twice as much it is still a deal

Or this:

It can take all ARM version of Linux distros without any compatibility issue.

1 Like

Maybe santa-san will bring me one for a gift this tear... :thinking:

1 Like

i am going to be running rasdaemon to log what the possible hardware errors are and try to correct them. I also want to try an install of manjaro to investigate if arch plays nicely with my system

update
rasdaemon did not detect any hardware failures when the crashes were occuring. I also ran memtest86 and no issues were found with the memory. The gpu and all components are seated properly and my cables are all attached.
I could supply a syslog but I am not sure how to upload that here

These are the logs that I have recorded, unfortunately I don't know what any of them mean or how to solve them.

Kernel error.
Have you tried a Different Nvidia Driver?

You may try installing the Ubuntu mainline kernel:

sudo apt install linux-oem-20.04

Or you may need to upgrade to kernel 5.14. Due to an error on Ubuntu's part that would be very easy to fix, but they refuse to fix, everyone on Ubuntu 20.04 or Derivatives of 20.04 are stuck with a dependency error.
I have created a corrected Kernel for 5.14 that solves this error. Try the above suggestions and if they fail, I can PM you instructions on trying the 5.14 kernel.

2 Likes

Well I have tried other nvidia drivers and attempted what has been suggested so I'm gonna go for it with the mainline kernel and see what happens.
I guess if nothing else works it's good to know that it's a kernel error and leaving the ubuntu family is an option (solus or manjaro come to mind)

update
tried the mainline kernel and same issue occurred. Here are the logs this time:

So should I jump ship from ubuntu flavours altogether?

Can you try:

sudo apt install --reinstall zorin-os-desktop

And check your PM for a message from me on installing the 5.14 kernel.

You may need to jump the Gnome ship... Have you tested zorin OS Lite?

2 Likes

Yes I will try that and lyk if the error still occurs.

Thank you very much! I'll make sure to grab a snapshot and then try that if instability persists.

Nope, so far I have just used Core. Although back in Zorin 14 (or 15) I did experiment with it on a laptop, don't remember much though

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.