Systemctl poweroff -i by default

I get that a lot of people only are on single user machines but when you've got a shared family computer and you press shutdown and nothing happens its infuriating, this is also a usability issue that made me switch from elementary os to try zorin. For a while it seemed to work. Now it isn't

however now it isn't. Yes I've paid for pro. Its not a big ask but please, when I press shutdown I want the machine to shutdown, not tell me someone else is logged in and then proceed to do nothing.

Pretty please tell me how I can set this to the default or at least a second option to force shutdown.

Thank you thank you thank you!!!!

Please open a terminal and run

sudo nano /etc/systemd/logind.conf

Arrow key to the bottom and add the line:
KillUserProcesses=yes
Tap ctrl+o to overwrite, then enter to save, tap ctrl+x to exit the editor. Now, create a new configuration file for your multi-user computer:

sudo touch /etc/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/multi-user-inhibit-shutdown-restart.pkla

Add content to the new file:

sudo nano /etc/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/multi-user-inhibit-shutdown-restart.pkla

Copy the following and paste it into that file (right click > context menu paste or ctrl+shift+v to paste in terminal):

[multi-user-inhibit-shutdown-restart]
Identity=unix-user:*
Action=org.freedesktop.login1.reboot-multiple-sessions;org.freedesktop.login1.power-off-multiple-sessions;
ResultActive=auth_admin

Again: Tap ctrl+o to overwrite, then enter to save, tap ctrl+x to exit the editor.

What this should do is prevent systemd from halting shutdown if users do not fully log out.
If a user is not fully logged out when you go to shutdown, it should log them out.
You will need to reboot once for the changes to take effect.

You can use systemctl poweroff -i which will ask for your password.

Thank you!

Only problem with systemctl poweroff -i is my kids aren't admins nor do they know how to use the CMD.

The first option is perfect. Will reboot and everyone can finally shutdown the computer without being admin or wizards :slight_smile:

Ok tried it out and it asked for my password. This is not doable as my kids aren't admins, they need to be able to shutdown the pc without entering a password.

Sorry for the delay - I was building awesome bases on Valheim.:expressionless:

Try

ResultActive=yes

instead of

ResultActive=auth_admin

Don't forget to save before exiting.

Source:
https://www.freedesktop.org/software/polkit/docs/0.105/pklocalauthority.8.html

1 Like

I can shut down normally even when multiple users are logged in. ZorinOS Lite doesn't even ask for confirmation at all.

1 Like

It used to, then recently stopped

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.