Takes 2+ Minutues to Boot!

Hello everyone!

I'm on Zorin Pro 16.3.

Suddenly the boot time of Zorin increased to 2+ minutes!

The recent change I did to Zorin is:

Boot from Live USB, using GParted, I extend the zorin os partition.

Note: I was unable to extend as my swap partition was in the middle of both freespace and ext4 partitions. So, I deleted the swap partition (I didn't create the swap partition again as I found it's not needed for a 16GB RAM laptop where no hibernate or memory extended tasks are used)

I think after this the boot is taking too much time. As far as I know, I never noticed this delay.

Note: I'm on Windows 11 Dual Boot

Please let me know if I did anything wrong, and please help if there is any workaround!

Adding some useful data:

Thanks

I'm wondering if you need to manually remove the entry for swap from the /etc/fstab file. This can cause a hang if its looking for a partition to mount that doesn't exist.

You will have to edit it as root via the sudo command..i.e. sudo gedit /etc/fstab

2 Likes

Thanks for the response @337harvey

Please check the output:

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
# device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
# that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
#
# <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>
# / was on /dev/nvme0n1p5 during installation
UUID=f55a7c04-cb86-4889-be84-c040d1df2e23 /               ext4    errors=remount-ro 0       1
# /boot/efi was on /dev/nvme0n1p1 during installation
UUID=721A-D7C7  /boot/efi       vfat    umask=0077      0       1
# swap was on /dev/nvme0n1p4 during installation
UUID=1638c893-7b8d-4d98-b036-fef7b4061259 none            swap    sw              0       0

Can I remove the below lines?

# swap was on /dev/nvme0n1p4 during installation
UUID=1638c893-7b8d-4d98-b036-fef7b4061259 none            swap    sw              0       0

Please confirm.
Thank You.

Yes, that was the swap entry.

You may also want to run the disks application and check for errors.

2 Likes

I have removed that entry, but still more than 1 minute to finish boot (to reach the sign in page).

I think I need to use LiveUSB to check errors as the OS is running and no option to check via Disk App.

Does this help?

Seems I need to do a fresh installation :frowning:

A fresh install may help, but I'm puzzled why the removal of a swap partition would cause such an issue.

Were there any other changes you made, modifications to the system or other partitions? Did you move the beginning of the system partition?

The only system file modification I did is a fix a caps lock delay issue:

I replace the code in usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/ then used gnome tweaks Choose Caps Lock is also a Ctrl.

Then this also:

deb http://apt.insync.io/ubuntu focal non-free contrib

Nothing else, usual app installation and removals.

Sounds like something was corrupt, that's why I had you check the drive for any errors.

You will have to reinstall your applications, which can easily be done by b backing them up with Easily Reinstall. It may not get them all, but most (doesn't cover snap or flatpak).

You may be able to get away with not formatting as you already have partitions set, use the something else method and choose the current Zorin partition without format. This will also overwrite your current efi partition, removing any grub parameters that you use.

2 Likes

There is an option to improve boot time Faster Boot

2 Likes

Did a format and installed fresh.

I'm sure the issue happened because of doing partition extension!

All works fine. From now onwards I'll use Timeshift when dealing with sensitive tasks!

Boot time now: 20 sec :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Just remember if you intend to make Timeshift snapshots to an external device, make sure the device is formatted with the same file system as your Zorin install or it won't work! :wink:

2 Likes

Yeah! Zorin Partition and the External Device are on ext4.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.