Takes Longer To Boot

Since installing Z17.1 Pro I've noticed a longer boot time from Z16.3 Pro ..... I ran
...... systemd-analyze blame ...... and got the following info in the terminal ..... any ideas on how to speed it up ..... not really a problem with booting first thing but when using restart it can be a pain .... it takes 3-4 minutes .... from boot or restart to desktop .....

mike@mike-ROG-Strix-G731GT-G731GT:~$ systemd-analyze blame
13.558s NetworkManager-wait-online.service
12.246s e2scrub_reap.service
6.955s logrotate.service
5.802s systemd-journal-flush.service
4.182s postfix@-.service
3.751s fwupd.service
3.750s udisks2.service
1.978s plymouth-quit-wait.service
1.935s gpu-manager.service
1.879s snapd.seeded.service
1.292s dev-sda3.device
1.262s ModemManager.service
918ms accounts-daemon.service
860ms update-notifier-download.service
813ms user@1000.service
789ms systemd-fsck@dev-disk-by\x2duuid-42b8bc3a\x2d1460\x2d4e35\x2da8c5\x2d9ca8f053129f.service
786ms systemd-fsck@dev-disk-by\x2duuid-2d41d748\x2dc76f\x2d4fec\x2d9818\x2d00cbb2004e20.service
742ms mullvad-early-boot-blocking.service
676ms upower.service
533ms apt-daily-upgrade.service
516ms input-remapper.service
490ms grub-common.service
478ms power-profiles-daemon.service
453ms systemd-tmpfiles-setup.service
419ms polkit.service
407ms packagekit.service
388ms lightdm.service
379ms kerneloops.service
359ms grub-initrd-fallback.service
lines 1-29

You can disable the network wait service:

sudo systemctl disable NetworkManager-wait-online.service

Everything else must remain. I do not see any SnapD on there...
It is notable that there have been certain reports generated by Zorin OS 17 Core:

• Gnome lagging & stuttering
  • Not respecting timeout (Like a toddler :smiley: )
  • Slow boot - beyond normal slow boot times
  • Crashing, suddenly logging the user out
  • Not saving sessions upon wake

In researching a lot of these I keep coming across the same on Gnome 42,43 and 44. But have yet to find any solutions.

Here is my auto start programs ..... the only one I need is the mullvad - VPN desktop that I know of .....

How to get rid of what I don't need ..... just delete them from the Autostart Folder ???? ...

Yep, that would work.

1 Like

Here is a bit more info from the terminal .....

mike@mike-ROG-Strix-G731GT-G731GT:~$ systemd-analyze
Startup finished in 8.811s (firmware) + 9.955s (loader) + 4.555s (kernel) + 1min 50.435s (userspace) = 2min 13.758s
graphical.target reached after 1min 50.415s in userspace
mike@mike-ROG-Strix-G731GT-G731GT:~$

Also which apts do I have to have in my Autostart Folder .... and which don't I need .... I'm guessing Snap ..... which by the way doesn't show anything listed under snap list in the terminal .....

diodon ..... deleted
ignor lid switch tweak .... ?????
mullvad vpn .... NO
Plank ...... don't think I am using it on Zorin Desktop on Xborg .....deleted
shutter ..... I'm guessing that is for screenshots so maybe ..... ?????
snap - userd ..... deleted

No noticeable changes with the three above removed ....

I love this... :stuck_out_tongue:

Anything in your autostart folder is a User supplied configuration. If you do not remember personally setting an autostart (Usually from a GUI setting somewhere), it means an application that you authorized install of added it.
Nothing in the users home directory autostart is essential and removing every last item from the users autostart file should not ever break the system nor cause problems (Except if you expected a personally installed application to start up and had to manually go to the app menu, find it, double click on it... A very minor inconvenience).

I do not have reason to believe that your autostart has any significant effect on your boot time. Autostart items generally are not really examined until the desktop is reached.

You are seeing just shy of two minutes to boot.

You have checked your systemd services.
Next, you might look to your hardware- do you have HDD? Is it spinning slowly? Does it have bad sectors or blocks?

Check the filesystem using fsck. Running fsck should always be done from a LiveUSB with the drive having the procedure performed on unmounted.
Running fsck on a mounted drive can result in breakage and data loss (You are all warned).

Check the RAM and ensure your RAM is good. Failing or bad RAM can cause a sudden slow boot.

That is enough for hardware: Software side:
Check if any drivers need to be updated, downgraded or replaced.

Do you have any special Grub paramaters that you have added?

Finally... Background processes (Gnome...) Are there any failing processes that are causing a loop during boot?

LOL ..... for some reason I have a mental block when it comes to that word .... at least I don't call it Zborg any more ..... LOL

Let me check into some of the things you mentioned above and yes I'm using a 1 TB mechanical HD .... I also dual boot with Win 10 .... I have 16 GB of RAM .....

I don't mess with Grub so unless it did something on it's own 'cause it sure wasn't me .....

Maybe I'm just over thinking or wishing ..... 2 minutes really ain't that bad when you say it fast and now that I have everything working fairly well I shouldn't need to keep using the Restart button .... I'll just keep an eye on it for now .....

I've been working a bit on the new GIMP 2.99.18 which is supposed to be the final version before Gimp 3.0 comes out .... so this has taken a lot of my time between YouTube and DDG looking for answers and how to use it .....

As usual Aravisian thank you for all your help .....

1 Like