Taking a break

I have been taking and I think I will continue to take a break from it all for a while.

7 Likes

We have noticed your absence. It has been some weeks and some forum members have been asking if you are OK, or gone off grid.
It is for you, and only you, to decide whether to continue your break or not. I for one look forward to your return to the forum soon.
Happy New Year, Zab.

4 Likes

Hope you are well, that is the main thing. It's an onerous task being a moderator, and I can speak from experience. It was particularly difficult when I was moderating on my own on the old forum, especially with nefarious postings that had to be dealt with - not too much these days due to the change of platform.
Take the time away you need for your own sanity.

3 Likes

@Aravisian , Yes even humans need time to refresh/reboot/Defrag,, Enjoy & Take it easy!

3 Likes

First off thank you for letting us know you are all right I was worried something had happened to you ..... very glad you are OK .....

Being a moderator on a board can and is a very thankless job and unless you have ever been one you have no earthly idea what I'm talking about .... over the years I have been an admin and mod on more than a few boards ..... but never a technical one thank god .....

Your personal life really takes a hit if you enjoy helping people and not just in it for the so called prestige of the title or other selfish reason ..... you have to ..... or supposed to read every single post everyday and answer those that you can answer ..... not leaving them for someone else to take care of just so you can have a title ..... before you say that can't or doesn't happen think again ..... if you haven't been there you don't know ....

Conflicts can and do arise between members ..... mods and yes even owners .... the amount of back-biting that can occur between form staff can be overwhelming to say the least and was a reason I left more than one task as a member of a form support ..... but I suppose that is the nature of some people ....

When your plate finally becomes over flowing with ingredients you either need to step back and decide if it is worth it or not for your own sanity and the relationships with your family and friends .... you need to do this before you get that bitter taste in your mouth and like a dog with fleas begins to snap and bite in every direction trying to get some relief ....

I know this post will make some people angry it is not intended to do so but if it does so be it .... the old saying of "walk a mile in my shoes" is appropriate as I have walked many a mile in those shoes and will never ever take a single step in them again .... to me at this point of time it is just not worth it ....

Aravisian .... although we have never met in person I consider you a friend and in my opinion you will be greatly missed ..... you have helped my greatly along my journey with Linux and especially Zorin .... but in the end only you can decide if it is worth it all to continue being a mod ..... if during this break you feel peace of mind and a fresh new outlook on life maybe it is deemed that you hang up your spurs ..... but if you feel the over powering need to help people without being paid for it by all means please come back ..... but that my friend is YOUR decision .....

Whatever you decide I want to thank you for the year we have spent together sorting out all my problems learning to use Zorin .... it ain't been easy .... :thinking: :grinning:

5 Likes

Good to hear from you. Take the time you need. We all get exhausted from the forums from time to time. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Everyone needs rest and maybe we have been relying on you too much. If you have any problems, I'm always here to help.

3 Likes

I think we don't thank you enough for all the effort you put into this community. If you got a penny for every issue you've helped... Good luck and make sure to take care of yourself first.

2 Likes

Well deserved. Aravisian is a workhorse on here. In retrospect the gang probably should've forced him to take regular breaks.

2 Likes

Aravisian, it is good to hear from you! It's always a pleasure to have you around. I'm glad you are taking some time for yourself. That all or nothing perspective will drive you batty. We'll hold down the fort as best we can, enjoy the time and don't give it a second thought. When you're ready, we'll be happy to see you return if you so choose. You've given so much for us, I'm glad you're finally taking the time for you.

3 Likes

It's fine, really, then every time I checked Zorin Forum on every post that I read you already were in to help so it's understandable that you want to take a break after so much effort, there's nothing bad :slightly_smiling_face::+1:.

1 Like

@Frog actually covered this by relating his own experiences.
It is noteworthy however:

This is not the case. The other Moderators and Owners created zero tension nor was there any drama at all behind the scenes.

I have been taking extra courses and of course- Life - And there has been a lot going on. And buckets full of stress. I was slowly and quietly drowning in the feeling of being overwhelmed.
It seems I hit a limit and slammed on the brakes pretty hard. I stopped checking or replying to email, the forum, text messages and essentially told Planet Earth and all its inhabitants to leave me alone. Including some rather frazzled family members who it appears... Sought outside help to renew contact. LOL.

I apologize to all who I left hanging or wondering.

5 Likes

Yes, nice to be back. And you are right, this forum and other media is not worth to ruin your health.

To ditto the other post .... yes it is good to see you reading the board once again .... I too have limited my board experiences by just viewing it first thing in the morning when I get up ...... reading some of the posts checking my emails and then going about other tasks on my computer ..... and finally playing Fishing Planet for appox 5-6 hours taking a nap before supper and then watching Netflix till time for bed ....

Not much of a life I agree but it suits me ..... :grinning: :grinning:

2 Likes

I also sometimes feel like I'm walking alone in a storm, but there is no storm that won't stop.

2 Likes

Glad you are back. We have been busy.
Pace yourself. We are only volunteers and can only do so much to help others in our spare time on the forum.

1 Like

Well, we members need will do our best to create some for you. Because we care and want you to feel needed. You DO give great advice...

Now being serious. You have nothing to apologize for. You're Human (I think)
and do all that you do out of kindness, compassion and heart. We appreciate You! Not just speaking for myself on that.

Have you meet the real Storm on here? That guy is always pumping out stuff.

2 Likes

What happened?

There will be no other storms as calm as they.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.