Taskbar gone when booting via a KVM switch

New user to Linux, have Zorin Pro installed as the only OS on the computer. The issue occurs when booting with a two computer/one screen KVM and the KVM is on the Windows port. Both Windows and Zorin Pro have booted but I am on the Windows port of the KVM and using Windows with no issues. When I then switch the KVM to the Zorin port the taskbar is missing. I am unable to get the taskbar to reappear via the Zorin Appearance tool by toggling features on or off. The only way I have found to restore the taskbar is to reboot with the KVM on the Zorin side. When that boot is completed the taskbar is present and all is good.

I am a bit perplexed about the taskbar not being present and wonder how this relates to the KVM being on the Windows port.

Is there a fix to this?

As a workaround, on Zorin OS, tap alt+F2 and enter into it r
Then tap the enter key and the Desktop Shell should reload.

If that brings the taskbar back, then I think it also may help narrow down the issue to being the gnome-shell-extension that manages the Panel (taskbar).
KVM and shell extensions... If it was me, I would use Zorin OS Pro Lite on that setup...
Shell extensions can be fickle even on solid and minimal builds.

Hi Aravisian...appreciate the prompt reply. Here are the specs for my Linux box...

Intel Core i7 12th Generation i7-12700 for the cpu
Noctua NH-L9i-17xx Low Profile for the CPU cooler
ASROCK H670M Pro RS Micro ATX for the mother board
Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD M.2 NVMe for the SSD boot drive
G-Skill Flare X Series F4-3200C14D-16GFX for system memory
Silverstone Milo 11 Micro ATX for the case
Silverstone 300 watt TFX for the PSU
Noctua NF-A8 PWM 80mm fan for case cooling
Intel SSD DC S3500 80gig for 6 GB/s SATA storage

I have plenty of hardware power and I think the issue is the KVM. I have no idea what is inside these KVMs but I do know this...it also affects the Logitec Unified wireless mouse on both ports. By that, the mouse movement is very fast and adjusting the mouse via tools in either software seems to make only a small difference.

I do like this KVM setup as it is helping me to mentally, emotionally and physically switch from Windows to Zorin. I won't be using Windows much in the future so this taskbar issue is not a large problem for me. Just would like to better understand it.

I will give your suggestion a go on the next occurrence of the missing taskbar.

Regards,

Lou

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.