Terminal commands vs GUI

Yes, women can solder!

I went though a science stream in the academic carrier and female scientists were always seen as some peculiar existences at least in my time in Japan.

The reality is that women can pursue science as much men can.

4 Likes

For some amazing reading; I strongly recommend some research into the Lost women of Science- especially Astronomy.

2 Likes

Kedric, you say people don't learn by cut and paste, but i have been doing it in Windows and Linux alike for years. I retype instead of copying so i learn the command. Depending on how often i need to use it goes into recollection. So when we share our experience with a command, we shouldn't have to say you'll need to remember this... that's on the user requesting help.

As an administrator, i constantly enjoyed having access to admin actions in the context (right-click) menu. I was looking at how to add this to my installation earlier this week. I was also thinking of adding the app menu (not like other distros or de's with applications in the context menu), but the Zorin "Z", maybe some favorites as well. Nothing more convenient and productive than not having to travel to the left of my screen in order to open something. Mac and certain versions of Linux had that right. It also would open more space on the Taskbar for other applets i find useful but don't use because of space issues.

The terminal is invaluable, and i hope one day to choose whether i want to stay in the terminal or type startx and use the gui (learned that in kali). Until then each peice of software i install has a purpose and i use them interchangeably in the terminal and gui.

Adding some more functionality to the context menu can make it easier for people to transition. These people aren't used to typing to get around and it's something they'll have to get used to. In the meantime, what zorin is all about, we accommodate them the best we can offering both gui and terminal assistance as is possible. It's on them to choose to learn or go back to windows.

3 Likes

I'm glad someone started this discussion. I have used Zorin since Z-5, and have paid for Ultimate since Z-6 (which came on a DVD). Like tomscharback I have no desire to crawl under a car (last time I replaced burnt valves was about 1950). Prior to Zorin I tried Mandriva 2006, Linux XP 2006 etc. Haven't used WIN since XP, except for a month or so of WIN 10 on my desktop. Before Zorin Lite moved from LXDE to XFCE I used Linux Lite on my 11" notebook, but now use Z-Lite. I have Z-16 on desktop now.
I think I represent a different PC user, whose PC is just tool. I needed a system that just worked, and if it didn't I had help from Zorin Team. The Forum seems to be largely the preserve of computer experts and gamers. I never use Terminal (command line or whatever) unless there is no alternative. My time is precious to me, and I have many other interests, including U3A, a campervan and remaining financially solvent. By the way, I have dismantled this machine myself to add RAM.
I admire Aravision for his perseverance. I also changed my occupation when I was young, and have lived and worked in several countries, when computers and mobile (cell) phones were really science fiction.

3 Likes

I thinnk this useful information.

1 Like

What the devil am I doing here, then...

I get a nickel for every thread marked as Solved within three posts.

3 Likes

I am anything but an expert and I do not have a single game installed on my Zorin.

2 Likes

The credit should go to @Kedric.

He is possibly the youngest member of this forum :slight_smile:
He is very good at questioning and triggering some good discussions for multiple facets of Linux OS.

3 Likes

I think @Kedric gives a very good working example here:

In the above posting, @Kedric explains what each command does.
It is a very good way to introduce beginners to terminal :smiley:

2 Likes

I do it because I feel like giving instructions without telling what it does is pointless.

Imagine your maths teacher telling you the steps how to do the questions, but never tell you why. You will never know how to do it.

6 Likes

Something tells me that you are good at mathematics :smiley:

THIS!

1 Like

9 posts were split to a new topic: English as a foreign language

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.