Terminal doesn't open after installing Python 3.9

Last time I updated Python on Zorin OS, it broke the system, just like it has for AC. I put out a PSA statement against doing it on the forum. I just don't recommend it because so many apps are dependent on a certain Python version. Anyways, I know what your going through AC. Hope the other's can help you.

1 Like

I learned that in a hard way when I was a Ubuntu user.
Python 2 to Python 3 change that was.

I just edited the title of this thread to give some warning sign.

Yes, I suppose that Python is the issue. I dont have my laptop with me to try :slight_smile:

So could it be that the terminal doesn't work because a certain python version may be missing?

You need to adapt your terminal for new python version.

But why did you upgrade python anyway ?

How are you posting?
Telepathy? :flushed:

I don't know. I just wanted to be up to date with python.

1 Like

I mean, I don't have my private laptop where Zorin is installed.

Typing from work laptop ( windows :frowning: )

When it comes with application, it is not always a good thing to have the latest and greatest. One must consider compatibility issue as well. Especially the Python is a integrated part of OS. It is not advisable to update it manually.

I learned in harder way, never update anything unless it is needed .

For up to date thing, yeah..If everything works fine, dont touch it, dont update it :stuck_out_tongue:

I'm flashed and I'm really surprised, that so many people try to help me. And I am also surprised how fast the first answer came. Wow!

2 Likes

Excluding security update, of course.

So is it somehow possible to make all apps work with the new version of python? I also noticed that the main menu app doesn't work. It doesn't start. I wanted to add an app to the menu.

Yeah, I am trying to keep my kernel at least up to date ( bleeding edge) ..maybe Arch habit xd

My change was also from Python 2 to Python 3, its amazing how we both screwed ourselves over the same exact experience.

Its one of those hard life lessons I guess. If I remember correctly, the reason I wanted to upgrade Python to version 3, was to provide compatibility, for an app that only ran on Python 3. Well, suffice to say, my decision to update to Python 3, ended in dismal failure.

I learned from this, and I said to myself, quite firmly I might add, NEVER ever update Python again, for any circumstances. Learned my lesson.

1 Like

My sympathies...

1 Like

So if I change the python configuration or the name of it, it should work right? I don't really know how everything works on linux. I am very new. I just installed it today. I'm kind of a noob.

That is ok. More mistakes , better experience :slight_smile:

In my beginnings, with Linux journey, I did lot of mistakes. I clean flashed daily because I deleted something, wrong update etc.

but now, before I do anything, I think harder and smarter xD

1 Like

I really don't know how I should fix this. So most of the system apps use python 3.6 right? It should be possible to tell the apps to use python 3.6 OR I could somehow tell that python3 means python 3.6. If I could do that I could also run python 3.9 through another command: "python3.9".

If you are that stage, the simplest thing is just wipe everything and start over.

While you could try downgrading Python, it is not for real beginners (says me from 10 years ago try to downgrade to Python 2).

1 Like