Testing Zorin os befor switching from windows

To prepare a switch from windows to zorin os ( linux) I am testing a trial version Zorin 16.2 Core.

95% of all work can be performed with the available programs / apps.
However, there are two things I haven't been able to do in zorin os yet!

• Casting laptop screen to an external screen or TV. I understand that the Zorin Pro version includes software to provides this. Is that right ?

• Streaming / casting music files (mp3, flac, WMA, Wav, etc.) from PC via wifi / dlna to the Yamaha MusiCast and all connected speakers. Is this possible from the Zorin Pro version? Does anyone have any experience with whether this works well and how to do it?

Gnome network display is not present in test environment. Perhaps there are users who use Zorin Pro and can confirm that casting PC to TV is workable?

Also "sudo apt install ubuntu-restricted-extras" (terminal) is not properly uploadable from the test environment.

Perhaps there are Zorin Pro users who have experience with casting music to Musicast and also use it?

You do not need to have Pro in order to use these packages.
Choosing Pro means you can get all included packages, already professionally installed.
But you do not have to use Pro just to get some packages or features.

Is there an error? You should have no difficulty installing a package on the Try Zorin LiveUSB. The only difference is that without persistence, the installed package will be gone when you boot up the Live USB at a later date.

If new to Zorin and Linux installation, you may find this useful: Before you install

If I want to install Zorin as a clean install via USB-install drive ; is it a requirement to have secure boot disabled ?

You will see from the "Before you Install" link above that Disable Secure Boot is listed as a pre-installation action.
Are you intending to dual-boot Zorin and Windows or just run Zorin on its own?

i want just run zorin.

I have edited my post #8 to say "Disable Secure Boot is listed as a pre-installation action."
hope that is more clear, especially as you are not dual-booting alongside Windows.

It is not a requirement. However, Secure Boot is for Windows, only. It is like a Guard at the door checking to see if those entering are on the list.
Secure Boot checks if initializing software is on a safe list. Microsoft generously signed off on Linux App Packages to get them on that safe list but did not sign off on them all. And some new updates may take time to get signed off, like Nvidia drivers.
So if running only Linux, Secure Boot is unneeded and can get in the way causing problems.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.