That strange Main Menu

Using Main Menu more accurately I noticed that the shadows of the window borders are not blurred correctly, I also tested with other windows both in the same condition (secondary window open above the main one) and just to check if other windows acts the same way but I didn't see it anywhere else. The correct shadows blurs are applied correctly after clicking its title bar, minimizing and restoring it, maximizing and reducing it, resizing it manually or switching from other windows and then returning to it. Then window fields of directory properties are not flexible, so long names and descriptions can only be read by manually moving the write cursor. Finally, comments are never displayed when leaving the cursor over categories in the main menu, so the Comment: field for categories is currently useless.

Are all 3 expected?

The comments are for use by the App Menu with tooltips activated. Many different App Menus do display the comments.

Admittedly, it is best practice to keep names and comments both concise and to the point.

I... am having a great deal of difficulty fully understanding what you are describing here. I may be a little slow today...
But if you are able to illustrate this with more detail, it may help.

1 Like

Can you show me an example or tell me how to see a category comment?

When I wrote window fields of directory properties are not flexible I meant that resizing the window to left or right doesn't expand the fields as usually users expect. Anyway I never change fields text myself, it's not necessary.

As you use Lite I don't know if you can see it, but Core users can. If you watch carefully windows shading on both screenshots you'll notice that on the first shading is all the same, static and homogeneous while on the second it blurs and fades more and more outward from the edges of the window. To see it more easily, open a screenshot and then switch between them without closing them during the transition.

Not without logging in to a different desktop environment. I am using Zorin OS Lite and it shows application comments / descriptions, not category ones either on ZorinMenuLite or on WhiskerMenu.

This may be due to the box-shadow property of the theme.
Using a custom ~/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css file, you may be able to alter this by making a uniform shadow with the following classes:

messagedialog.csd decoration,  .solid-csd decoration, tooltip.csd decoration,  .popup.csd decoration, .csd decoration.maximized, .ssd decoration, .popup decoration, .fullscreen decoration, .tiled decoration,  decoration:backdrop {
     box-shadow: 1px 3px 3px 3px rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.4), 0 0 0 1px rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.18);
}
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.