The future of Windows

The NPU is Part of the entire Chip. So, when the chip itself is supported, this shouldn't be a Problem I think.

With a blue Taskbar it reminds me a bit on Windows XP.

4 Likes

Dell, Lenovo and HP should get together and develop OEM Linux. Adobe and the games would be forced to port. Or they could just buy Zorin and put a little money into it. It's already what a Linux based Windows substitute should be, including looking good.

And then we would have the next Data absorbing OS? No, thank You.

2 Likes

I think Ubuntu and its official derivatives (and I think Linux Mint too) offer an option for an "OEM install", in which the user and root accounts are configured on the first boot instead of during install. Or am I remembering it wrong?

What they could do is add an extra repo that contains drivers for the components of the computer that haven't made their way to the mainline kernel or they did too recently for LTS distros to catch up (actually, I think some Linux manufacturers already do this)

But I do agree that they should make more linux laptops, specially affordable ones, since the price is usually what sets me back from manufacturers like tuxedo or system76

There are 17 + plus places to buy Linux loaded laptop and some are pricey depending on the hardware selected.

The ones I have found out about are:

• Laptop with Linux: Their cheapest option is 568€, which is not too unaffordable... but the 7 hours battery life falls a bit short compared to some 400-500€ windows laptops and chromebooks that claim to have 12 hours of battery life. 7 hours is still acceptable, but I'd have to think about it
  • Starlabs: The StarLite seems quite good, with great battery, a nice touchscreen and a processor that, while not the strongest, is definitely more than enough for my needs. Price without including the optional keyboard is 722€... 824€ with the keyboard, too expensive
  • Tuxedo: Their cheapest option is 839€
  • System76: More than 1k€
  • Pinebook: Affordable... maybe a bit too much though (4 GB of ram is too small for a laptop that I intend to use for years in university)
  • Purism: Both, the laptop and the tablet are around 1k€

The closest I can get is some online stores that sell laptops with no OS preinstalled for around 100€ cheaper than their windows counterpart - but, looking at reviews on some of those, installing linux can still be a hit or miss

I use Windows 10 and WIndows 11 on different maschines and I am happy with both of them. So I guess that the support for Windows 10 will end somewhere in the future and as long as your hardware is supported it will be an easy switch.

1 Like

For people with supported hardware, yes, it will be easy, but I doubt most of those who haven't moved to 11 yet even with supported hardware will be happy to do so when the time comes. It will be easy, but not satisfactory for many

In my case, my windows 10 desktop does support 11. And yes, it will be an easy and satisfactory switch. Switching to debian 11 is so easy when using a live ISO (but maybe should go for 12 instead)

In my country it is difficult to find a Linux-compatible PC. Perhaps major manufacturers have a special license agreement with Microsoft, so they would not like to have an OS other than Windows installed. I try to avoid such products.

1 Like

Same here. In local stores, all computers come with Windows or MacOS, and recently some stores have started selling chromebooks aswell. But linux seems like a thing that doesn't exist in those stores. Only option I have for a PC that is fully compatible with linux is buying it online on stores that do international shipping, or just being lucky with computers that don't have official support for linux

1 Like

Should have posted this before. Some suppliers allow one to select hardware and OS when ordering.
https://www.cyberciti.biz/hardware/laptop-computers-with-linux-installed-or-preloaded/

A few years back now, a business owner on our local City forum, running CNC Lathes ditched Windows for Fedora Workstation and ran XP as a VM to control the CNC Lathes, no issues!

My best guess? Be a bunch of idiots and force people to use Windows 11 all the damn time, which I find absolutely uncool.

IoT windows 11 is without bloatware.
imagee

I buy old quad core biz desktops for $50 and add a cheap SSD. Any version of Linux runs perfectly on them. They are solidly built and tool-less. Even 10 yr old ones have Gb Ethernet. Buy two identical ones and you can easily diagnose problems by swapping out parts.

I have been buying 27' monitors for $97 and using them like a double monitor. But people say cheap 4K TVs work well.

I've given up on laptops. Something always breaks and I never get around to fixing it. My big, cheap Moto phone is enough for me.

i think i don't care about windows :yum:

1 Like

What is about that rumour about screenshots with copilot?
Something more spyware,malware,bloat etc.?

I don't consider other people's unhappiness as my happiness.

You are probably referring to Windows Recall. Everything you need to know about Windows Recall | Windows Central

1 Like