The future of Windows

Hey! It's been a long time...
I have an not-linux-related question for you all:
these are the usage percentages of Windows 10 and Windows 11, over the Windows Users. If the Windows OS Users are the 100%, win10 is 70% and win11 is 26%.
What do you think will Microsoft do? I am currently dual-booting zorin + windows 10, and I don't want to change my os after 2025. What do you think?

1 Like

Compared to XP and Win 7, my Win 10 experience is poor and assume Win 11 to be very poor. I expect to rely more on linux (ZorinOS) and keep Win10 just for esential apps that need it.

4 Likes

You might wish to use your preferred flavour of GNU/Linux, install virt-manager and run whatever version of Windows you want inside of that - will certainly be more secure that way! Also you can make a backup of your virtual hard drive after creating it in case your VM of whatever version of Windows you are running gets hit by Malware/Virus!

4 Likes

I think we've all seen this movie before: Microsoft retiring a perfectly working product (not that W10 is perfect, not even close) in favor of something that is far more hungry for user data, system resources (probably so that they can distribute the load of training AI models to their end users, without their knowledge nor consent, of course) and the new cool kid in the neighborhood: subscription services.

None of those are desirable things to the consumer, and the proof lies in that people are actively avoiding the newest version of Windows, released in 2021.
When Windows 10 reaches end-of-life next year the only choices will be to run without updates, buy a new computer or explore other operating systems.

I've heard people claiming that Windows will end up creating their own distribution of Linux. And while I'm not entirely convinced of this I have to admit that it does make some sense. For one, most of their revenue already comes from subscriptions and cloud services as opposed to the consumer market, which is a market in decline anyway.

Nvidia has recently announced that they'll start working on open source drivers. This has been Linux's Achilles heel for decades. Once the full market of graphic cards is available to Linux users there will be nothing that can stop us!, Microsoft's foothold on the gaming market will also decline.

I think it does make sense to a certain point at least for Microsoft to do something similar to Android and create their own version of Linux. Maybe not a distribution in the same sense as Zorin OS, but more like Android − a heavily modified Linux kernel − and with enterprise in mind, tightly integrated with their cloud services, etc. Not having to maintain a huge operating system that is slowly losing the edge in an already declining market would save them a ton of money.

7 Likes

Nothing. Why should they do something? There is a Possibility to buy (Hahahaha!) additional Update Support for Win10 after October 2025. It is some kind of extended Support Thing. But this can You only do for 3 Years if i remember right. So, Win10 will die anyway.

And then the People simply Upgrade to Win11 and that's it. I personally have a Dual-Boot, too. And this will stay until the Win10 Support is over. then I only use Linux. So, I have - from now on - still one and a half Year to find a fitted Distro for me. And it looks like, that this is Zorin. Is/Was the Best for me so far.

2 Likes

they must does windows lite version, i think they can return the support to windows 7.
also i think they must make it free.
if that not happens , i think windows will be dead, or will be not the most operating system in using

There are countless computers in industry preforming various tasks via Win 10. It will be interesting to see if MS will alter the hardware requirements of Win 11 to accommodate older hardware or just force companies and the private sector to upgrade all those computers.

I don't like windows 11, my pc can run it, but I hate it. Microsoft is forcing me to upgrade. This is the worst.

1 Like

From Win 7 to 10 there were no new hardware requirements , but a lot of OEM drivers didn't work with the Win 10 free upgrade on many brands. I'm curious if or how MS will accommodate customers when Win 10 goes EOL.

You can simply turn off TPM. Then it will be quiet because the Requirements are not there.

1 Like

Microsoft has invested quite a bit in OpenAI and it is doing well so far. They have failed to make inroads into smartphones and tablets, so AI has become their go-to. Also, AI now requires huge resources for training, so large companies have an advantage. However, I do not believe that situation will last forever. So Microsoft will need to cut unprofitable divisions before it is too late.

I too think it is possible. Other means could be to open source Window NT or cooperate with technologies such as WINE. I hope that Windows users will be relieved of years of constraints and inconvenience.

I still know nothing of the future of win 10 computers, but the copilot + computers are on the way. Plenty of info available with a quick search. MS trying to get in on the ground floor this time. They have been late to the party with other projects in the past.

I have been dreaming of a Windows alternative since Windows 7 was dropped (unsupported). Happily Zorin has become that for me - 90+% of the time/uses.

I am very surprised that India or even China hasn't created a better OS. But that might require total coding for different set of lettering. However, considering how much of interactions with electronic devices has gone towards 'mobile' (aka phones/tablets), there is less and less demand for 'overall' OS (operating systems. Apps may even give way to icons?? To me this is a DE-evolving path which can only offer less and perhaps a back door for AI acceptance? (Heavens save me from that oxymoron - AI!!)

2 Likes

What I'm concerned about is that the new copilot + hardware may not support Linux as an alternative. HP,Dell,Asus and more all have their own versions coming out.

https://www.xda-developers.com/copilot-vs-copilot-pro-vs-copilot-plus/

Theoretically they should. It is normal Hardware; the Microsoft Software Stuff shouldn't matter I guess. But the Point is: At the Beginning these are have ARM Processors. Intel and AMD comes later. So, You could only use a Distro which supports ARM Processors.

They also include NPU chips to facilitate AI functions. Chrome Books will have something like this too running a Linux based OS.

1 Like

Yes, the NPU's. That is the Reason why AMD and Intel Versions will coming later because the current Processors are not having this in this Way Microsoft wants that. Only the Snapdragons Chips have for them that they want.

What a wonderful new World ... Hahaha!

On day 1, I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't supported

At some point in the future? It most likely will be supported. The real question is if it will be supported officially or with community efforts (like with Apple's M chips - no official support, but being brought to an usable state with community efforts)

Only real problem would be if they lock the bootloader to completely refuse booting something that isn't windows, which I doubt. It can happen, but if it does, I don't think the NPU nor the ARM chips would be at fault for it, rather a differently configured and severly limited UEFI (like in chromebooks)

2 Likes

Dell for example sells Ubuntu loaded laptops. The NPU chip is hardware so, I'm not sure how the Linux kernel would interact with it if at all.

When Zorin OS is used in a Windows Classic-like layout, it seems to be a complete GUI that is operated with a mouse and keyboard. Is this my nostalgia? :relieved:

Anyway, there will be many changes in Windows in the future, but I am not worried because I have this Zorin OS.

3 Likes