The latest kernel update

Hi.

Zorin uses kernel 5.15.56. But the newest one is 5.15.86. How to get the latest kernel update?

Is there any practical reason why Zorin doesn't have the latest kernel update installed?

Maybe the devs take the time to test kernel updates before they release them.

3 Likes

Actually, the latest kernel version is 5.16.2. Zorin is using 5.15.56 currently, because it is the latest stable kernel. It already surpasses the kernel offered in Ubuntu 22.04 LTS. All upgrades are thoroughly tested prior to release to us (doesn't mean they catch every bug...they don't have all the hardware that Zorin is used on).

What is the issue? We are given and assured a stable, long-term support version of the OS. There are bug fixes in newer kernel versions, but they also create bugs every time they make changes. By following behind the "rolling release" of the kernel, we get the most stable version that has been tested by the developers with their OS. Would you rather run into issues more often, have to reinstall and roll-back regularly?

5 Likes

Zorin uses a pretty old LTS kernel compared to the newest one. Why i want the newest LTS kernel? It's due to bug fixes, security patches and so on.

The newest LTS kernel is 5.15.86, yet Zorin is still on 5.15.56:

https://kernel.org/

Just be a little patient, on LTS Ubuntu tests every kernel-version for stability. So as long as Ubuntu does not release an upgrade for the kernel Zorin can't really do much about it. So the situation is almost identical on my Ubuntu 20.04-installation on a different laptop. There are ways, however, to upgrade to the 6.0x - kernel but if you don't know how to save yourself well if things go wrong I would not recommend this for you.

1 Like

You could always manually install it, that is your choice and ability. Recognize that until the devs work out whatever issues that they run into in releasing that update, it will not be available to us.

I anticipate bug fixes, patches for memory leaks and other improvements... sometimes patience and recognition that they are working to our benefit is prudent.

For the most part, the kernel bugs are specific to certain hardware and certain software. This can be troubling if you have these and it doesn't work. But wanting it just because something you don't have or use is fixed is not a reason to complain of the kernel version.... especially since it's in your ability to change it if you want to.

2 Likes

Thanks for your answer! :+1:

You may not want to upgrade to the 6.09 kernel. I did this, and it removes gnome 3.38, replaced it with gnome 42. This may not seem like a big issue, but a lot of the gnome software was removed because the dependencies are further than what the software developers have adapted. Nemo, gdebi and many other applications were uninstalled and couldn't be reinstalled because the dependencies were beyond what the developers support. I wouldn't go beyond 5.86, as you wanted. Who knows what else won't work. I'm restoring from a backup as I type this in my phone.

Even the 5.86 kernel needs the libssl3 library available through the jammy repo. Be sure to run the debs for 5.86, it will fail. Add the repo for jammy, run --fix-broken apt flag, then remove the jammy repo (or disable). Reboot and you will be on 5.15.86, without broken applications.

Staying in the 5.15 versions of the kernel is your best option right now. Any further may result in applications not working. This is the pitfall of going beyond what the OS developers have supported.

2 Likes

Thank you 337harvey .... I would much rather wait for a stable version than to have some unwanted surprises pop up and force me to except something I didn't want or brick my OS and I have to reinstall .....

By the way very good reasoning and explanations .... so many times one just gets "that is just the way it is" explanation ......

The lack of having no way to install Nemo will and would be enough to turn me off .....

1 Like

I love Nemo myself! I wouldn't use nautilus (hated it when i did). Some things should not be removed from a file explorer. That it is the desktop manager as well is the best!

1 Like

Schermafdruk van 2023-01-03 07-20-19
@337harvey
i am a week or so on the Ubuntu Mainline Kernel 6.09 with a partial upgrade.
No such thing your Gnome has been upgraded to 4.3-version unless you did a wrong choice with the Jammy Jellyfish Repo's inside Zorin.
See attached photo's ......
That's the whole point of Ubuntu's Mainline : getting the latest kernel and requirements in the system without really breaking the system.
libssl3 is the only upgrade, install, you need to do from the J J repo's .... after that you remove that repo of course !
Schermafdruk van 2023-01-03 07-22-05

1 Like

I did it by terminal and partial wasn't a part of the commands i typed. That's why i got everything. I'm also on kde, not gnome, and why gnome software updater didn't offer a partial upgrade option.

This is a possible pitfall for others, so my recommendation stands. Beginners should not be trying that version jump without having any idea of what could possibly go wrong.

A partial upgrade may very well make usable advancements. I still wouldn't recommend it unless they understood what they are doing (i barely do, but i get by).

1 Like

I updated to kernel 6.0 and only there was one package wrong number glibc was lower, something that i updated and all the another was compatibility. When i installed that kernel but one question if i updated to up kernel it will be not supported.

The problem with newer kernels is the regressions.

1 Like

As far as me changing to newer non approved kernels by Zorin I have developed the old saying ..... "If it ain't broke don't fix it" ..... :+1:

Well. What is the point installing newer version kernel If the distribution maintainer watches over everything, why install something that can break it.

1 Like

Many people think they need the latest kernel for security fixes, hardware support or the common, if it's not the latest I need to update it. To many think they are missing something unless it's the latest, cutting edge version. Even if they don't have hardware that needs it or software that requires certain versions of libraries.

What they don't understand is that the ZorinGroup has implemented fixes and security patches that allows us to use the currently installed version of the kernel to keep our computers safe and stable.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.