The Road to Zorin 16

I got a cot set up. And a tent. An alarm clock. And land mines at the door.

1 Like

Beta is out! YAY!

3 Likes

Hello, @Altand...

Agreed. Yay!

I received an email from ZorinOS and started downloading it shortly thereafter :nerd_face:.

Impatiently Waiting... :hourglass_flowing_sand:

And, afterwards... the fun begins (feel like a young kid going to the candy store) :wink:.

2 Likes

Is there a SHA256 checksum published for Z16 Core Beta dowload file somewhere?
Maybe I missed it.

Download is painfully slow. 280kbs

I didn't see checksum either @zabadabadoo. I looked twice on the ZorinOS 16 Beta and SourceForge pages.

Huh... that's slooooooooow alright, I'm averaging 1.0MB/s range so far anyway.

Found SHA256 Checksum for 16 Core Beta is published in the normal place with others here:

Scroll down to this:

2 Likes

I'm getting 30 - 40 kB/sec :sob: ...1 day left to download

Checksums - that's what I was wondering about too.
It would also be nice to know:
What are the system requirements?
Will the ISO files or checksums be PGP signed in the near future?
Will there be torrents available for faster downloads?

Is it possible to upgrade from the current version (15) to the 16 beta?

The sweet shop is open today fella's, everybody is welcome to come in, and sample everything you see. OK, I shouldn't have said that, you can't sample the ladies who work here, only the Zorin candy folks. No, I won't be joining you, I am just here to host the party. Ohhhh, Zaba your saying your just popping in to see, so am I, I literally popped in from POP OS lol.

For those of you who are complaining about the slow download, this has always been an issue from the Zorin download server, its never been fast. But if a lot of people are also downloading at the same time, then its going to be slower.

OK Aravisian, I know you all too well, please don't try to break OS16 with a virus, and just enjoy it will you? LOL. Alright have fun guys, but don't get rowdy in here, otherwise I will have to break it up, then you go home with no candy while you tell your mom what you done.

LOL :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

I already broke it. And removed zorin-os-desktop to get rid of gdm3. And a bunch of other things. Then put it all back together again.

Slow Downloads

Most often, it is just too many users clamoring at once. I downloaded the entire ISO in less than a minute where I am. If you see a very long download time- just close it out and try again in twenty or thirty minutes.

LMAO, see, I know you too well! Didn't take long, maybe you wanted to see if you could reverse engineer it for your fiendish plan of total OS domination lol.

So what I am curious to know from all of you is, how is OS16 running? I'd like it if you could all please install the Stacer app, and take screenshots, which you could easily crop with GIMP if you need to. But I'd like to see the performance of OS16, as compared to the old OS 15.

I have already taken a screenshot of my computer running POP OS 20.10, actually, I took a couple now that I think of it. I am going to post them here, and then by that we can also easily compare POP OS, VS Zorin OS. Don't you love science? lol

This is a screenshot showing performance of POP OS 20.10, running on an MSI GE76 Raider notebook, just sitting on the desktop at idle.

FYI, CPU usage is usually at 0% at idle, but if I move the mouse around, it can go between 1% to 2%.

This is a screenshot showing performance of POP OS 20.10, running on an MSI GE76 Raider notebook, while rendering a 4K video in Kdenlive version 20.

Not without us all having the Same Machine set up...

More like personal variance.
Removal of snapd and flathub /flatpack. Replacement of multiple apps with the xapps, considered to be "D.E. agnostic" applications. For example, I prefer XED text editor and Xplayer over the Gnome integrated stuff.

Ohhhhh right, what in the world was I thinking? Of course we can't do proper science unless someone else out there has the same computer.

Personally, I'd love to test Zorin OS myself on this computer, but then I would have to sacraphice the data on one of my drives to do it. Truth is, we got enough people on this forum testing the BETA right now, so you guys got that covered.

Ya, one of the things I don't like about Gnome, is it won't let me auto hide the top bar. And even after installing a Gnome extension that supposedly allows you to auto hide the top bar, its not auto hiding. Maybe I am doing something wrong IDK.

I just don't want it image burn in on my TV screen, I've already gone through that with a couple of TV's in the past, don't want to go through it again. I do have Xscreensavers installed, I have it set for 60-minutes then the screensaver comes on.

BTW, love the Flurry screensaver, by far my most favorite one.

I forgot to mention the ever-useful Debian Goodies:
https://packages.debian.org/stretch/debian-goodies

As well as zsh with ohmyzsh and Powerlevel10k... Gives the terminal autocorrect, word suggestions and much more.

You could create a partition that is small and install on that. Testing the Alpha, I did on a 60gig partition. I had another at 30gigs.
Your primary reason for testing won't necessarily be to Test it for the devs, but to test it for you. You do not have to buy Ultimate and Pop_OS! is a solid working OS.
But I would still encourage you to test it anyway- for your own speeds. Zorin OS16 Beta is as fast on my machine as Alpha was, which admittedly surprised me. I really thought it would be slowed down.
I am unable to wait a couple months for Zorin Lite, so will be doing some modifications of my own on Zorin Core. As it is, I have been waiting on Z16 before really progressing on my webpage and themes and can wait no longer.

I don't know what was wrong with my connection. I was sitting about 5m away from my router in line-of-sight, and I was getting less than 50kB/sec. I even tried using a different browser. Cancelled the download, restarted it, still no improvement. I grabbed another laptop, wired it into the router and had the ISO downloaded in less than 5 minutes at 10MB/sec.

MaximX85, welcome to Zorin OS, the most friendly OS for ex-Windows users, beginners, and beyond!

The situation you are describing, sound like....

(1) Wireless channels are over saturated by other wireless signals in the area.

(2) Too much wireless interference from nearby wireless devices in your immediate area.

(3) Your wireless radio in the router is dying and its time to buy a new router.

(4) Or your WIFI adapter in your desktop or notebook is dying and needs replaced.

Only further testing in multiple fronts will provide you the actual root cause. But for now, I am glad you were able to solve the issue by going wired.

(5) Too many users accessing sourceforge at once. Waiting a moment resolved. (it's possible..)

Strange, I use this extension and it works properly for me after I turn off the Intellihide options and turn on "show panel when mouse approaches edge of the screen".

What I couldn't do for the life of me is get Xscreensaver to randomly display images from a folder every couple minutes or so. I got black screens in 15.3 when I tried.
Gotta check if I can get it working in Z16 though.

So, I looked into it again, and I discovered after reading your post, that Intellihide options were enabled, and the mouse approaches screen option was disabled. So I reversed both of those, and now its working. Thank you so much Greyhound!

OK, the issue that you are facing with Xscreensaver, is most likely due to the screensaver daemon not being auto loaded with the OS. By default, Xscreensavers is not designed to load with the OS.

This Post Explains How To Set The Xscreensaver Daemon To Auto Load On Startup

Also, hope that you made sure to install the Xscreensaver extra's, so that you get all the available screensavers. You do this by entering the command bellow....

sudo apt-get install xscreensaver xscreensaver-data-extra xscreensaver-gl-extra

Blank:
Refers to the time it takes before the screensaver comes on. I have mine set to 60-minutes, you can set yours for however long you want.
Cycle:
This refers to how often the screen saver changes, which only will function, if you have the mode set to random. I prefer only one, Flurry.
Lock:
This refers to how long the computer will wait before it locks itself, once the screensaver has come on. I have mine set to 1-minute. If I don't get to it within that time, I must be busy, so lock for safety.

Because you so expertly helped me out, I want to help you out in return, paying it forward and all that. I really appreciate the help, thank you so much!

1 Like