The Road to Zorin 16

I wonder how many months will pass by that you continue calling Zorin OS "Alpha." You're getting used to it.

1 Like

There is no confusion on which zorin I'm using though...I don't expect anyone to remember.

Dark theme, with conky (customized).

1 Like

That is gorgeous.

Some code snipped from the Automatik conky theme gave me the os and icon.

Can you tell what my favorite color is?

Edit:
Now if I could only customize the color of the taskbar icons, without building a new theme and icon set

XFEX DE to the rescue!

Its no secret that I love dark themes, especially ones involving colors of black and blue, they go well together.

That theme is absolutely beautiful, and I like it a lot. I'm honestly amazed that your going through so much customization, when you have lack of persistance in Alpha.

I tell ya what though, it demonstrated to the Zorin dev's, what the OS is already capable of, with just a little bit of tweaking.

Looks like its only going to get better. They should be releasing the BETA in a few days I think. And then full release is the end of the month I believe.

It's not on a usb...I have been running it, installed internally, for well over a month now. To do this on usb without persistence would be an act of lunacy or shear dedication...depending on your pov.

They have decided on some wallpapers.

If you're interested in any particular one for an up close view.... let me know. Number left to right top to bottom, 19 in total

Edit:

The tour still needs images, and it looks like they are going to offer OnlyOffice by a link (supporter?) to download...though it is not free. What you need a crm and project management software bundled with document editor for anyway? Personal preference I guess.

Given the amount of updates piping through, it appears ZorinGroup has been staying busy.

True story Aravisian. I had a few more today. Maybe it will be beta worthy soon :slight_smile:

Hi is there any way to join you guys in the testing team?

Requesting attention of @zorink to see if poster's request may be considered.

Hi everyone! I would like to join Zorin 16 alpha testing also, if that's possible...

The public BETA should have been released by now. Strange it has not. Once it's released, everyone will be free to try. :grinning:

I could be wrong, but as I understand it; the only reason there was alpha testing was because we got out our torches and pitchforks.

The Zorin 16 OS Alpha was incomplete, rather starkly, at that... And while impressive with the insight it gave into the performance and features of Zorin OS 16, I would not suggest it be taken for granted, either.

No idea about the Beta; I suspect that when it is released, I will want to replace my current installation of Zorin OS alpha with it.

Oh wow, I didn't know you were still testing the Alpha. I figured you'd rather have full release stability with XFCE while you wait. You are dedicated buddy :wink:

There is no alpha or beta that I know of offering Zorin 16 Lite.

@WhoM3 @Altand Thanks for your interest in testing! We're currently putting the finishing touches on the Zorin OS 16 Beta, which will include many improvements and fixes compared to the Private Alpha. We're planning to release it next week, so we would recommend you to wait until then before testing Zorin OS 16.

3 Likes

@Aravisian Get ready buddy, that BETA is coming, and your going to want to test the megabytes out of it. Don't forget to RAM your ROM, and don't catch lose your tape in the floppy. lol

Oh how I miss those days. All the delicious noises computers would make, from noisy mechanical drives, to floppy drives, to the dial up modem, those were the days.

Did you know that magnetic tape drives are actually still used? No, they aren't used in the desktop market anymore. They have been improved upon, and are used in data centers, for extreme long term storage.

Turns out, magnetic storage drives, while slower, are still more reliable then mechanical or SSD drives. Fascinating as SPOCK would say. :slightly_smiling_face:

For long term storage, yes. Magnetic tapes will win. Additionally, newer developments have enabled packing more into the space.
Have you ever pulled an old CD out of a drawer only to find it had deteriorated or is discolored?

When i was a kid, my school had an old computer with a 4 1/2 floppy drive. I remember very well the noises it made reading the disk. Todays youth have no idea what it is like to answer the Kitchen or Hallway Phone... and how someone else could pick up a different receiver in the house and listen in.

I look forward to testing Lite. I wonder if I may stick to Core with Cinnamon, though.

1 Like