The touchpad cursor is erratic

I'm using Zorin 16.2 Lite, booting from a flash drive. My touchpad cursor is very erratic. The speed across the screen changes at random. It often causes pages to scroll up or down when I'm trying to mover the cursor to a new place, even though it is far from the left-side scroll bar. And sometimes it briefly freezes in place. It works fine when using Windows 7 on the same device.

You may have an input-synaptics issue.

As this is a LiveUSB, it is running on the most generic drivers.

Zorin OS 16 uses libinput:

sudo apt install xserver-xorg-input-libinput

Some hardware will prefer it. Others prefer input-synaptics

sudo apt install xserver-xorg-input-synaptics

Either can also be removed:

sudo apt-get remove --purge xserver-xorg-input-synaptics

sudo apt-get remove --purge xserver-xorg-input-libinput

This might help:

Especially for me, on that computer (now deceased... my kid unplugged it and somehow corrupted the BIOS on it. Yes, folks, the Dell Inspiron N-7110 is no more.) I put:
"Option" "FingerLow" "30"
"Option" "FingerHigh" "30"

Basically, what's happening is that the touchpad has a tiny area where your finger touches, and you have to move outside that area for the touchpad to register movement... if that area is too small, even a tiny twitch of your finger will register as movement, and you'll see your cursor jumping around with the tiniest finger movement, or the cursor jumping when you lift your finger off the touchpad... making the area larger makes the touchpad less sensitive.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.